Cellar gas availability in lockdown

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Cellar gas availability in lockdown

Post by brewbrew » Thu May 07, 2020 12:39 pm

I bought my first proper regulator about 3 months ago - having, after a long search found a pub gas supplier who would let me collect and rent a small cylinder even though I'm not a pub or business (other sellers wanted trade accounts and minimum quantities/rent contracts suited to small commercial bars).

The day I wanted to collect my first cylinder was the day they shut up shop for lockdown - and it looks like it will be closed for a long time (and sadly I suspect at risk of going under - they only supply gas and wholesale draught beer to pubs).

Does anyone know of any sources of small pub cylinders that can be price competitive vs Sodastream/S30 type gas in the South West UK or with UK wide delivery capability. There must be thousands of cylinders sitting around looking for a new market and home brew is booming at the moment.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

BB

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Cellar gas availability in lockdown

Post by vacant » Thu May 07, 2020 1:15 pm

When I went for kegs/gas in 2015 I fetched my 6Kg gas cylinder from Bablake Wines in Bristol. It was about £22 incl £5 deposit.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Thu May 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi have just got one of hobbyweld 35pound but had to pay 65 pound rental on the bottle but it was delivered to my door

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Thu May 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Hobbyweld for me as well. I think they are still open.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Thu May 07, 2020 2:25 pm

brewbrew wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:39 pm
I bought my first proper regulator about 3 months ago - having, after a long search found a pub gas supplier who would let me collect and rent a small cylinder even though I'm not a pub or business (other sellers wanted trade accounts and minimum quantities/rent contracts suited to small commercial bars).
I imagine that some of those wholesalers have recently had cause to rethink their terms....

Also could be worth asking local pubs if they have any gas spare...

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu May 07, 2020 3:42 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:25 pm
I imagine that some of those wholesalers have recently had cause to rethink their terms....
Very true. I sold my gas/cornies/shiny pots a few months ago and the cylinder still had a fair amount of gas in it. I don't think they made much from me.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu May 07, 2020 3:51 pm

My usual supplier in Suffolk is not answering the phone at present. Frustrating ‘cause I’m running very low on CO2. Have resorted to carbonating in the keg using floating pickup connected to short dip tube. Working ok so far, but I guess I’ll need gas as the keg empties. Maybe they’ll reopen soon...
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu May 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Luckily mine is an industrial gas supplier so open as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Thu May 07, 2020 10:22 pm

Do you mind me asking who that is @leeh? Struggling for gas myself at the moment.

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Fri May 08, 2020 10:31 am

Discovered last night that my had was empty! Another bloody leaky cornie. Was worried about getting more gas. But called my usual supplier "woodlands Yorkshire" in Thirsk. No info on there website. Called expecting a message. Blow me bloke answers, yes were still open but reduced times. Monday to Friday 10- 2 ish.
So I have to survive the weekend with a day trip planned for Monday.
Andrew

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon May 25, 2020 9:28 pm

JJSH wrote:Do you mind me asking who that is @leeh? Struggling for gas myself at the moment.
Engineering & Welding Supplies.

Hull, Grimsby & Scunthorpe. Maybe more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Tue May 26, 2020 11:35 pm

brewpete wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:34 pm
Hi have just got one of hobbyweld 35pound but had to pay 65 pound rental on the bottle but it was delivered to my door
Same as me, expensive but it is delivered and I can source it easy enough.