Mini keg carbonation and dispensing

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
MattGuk
Piss Artist

Mini keg carbonation and dispensing

Post by MattGuk » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:47 am

Hi Everyone, hope somebody can help clear things up a little for me.
So, I am getting fed up of bottling 40 odd bottles per batch and wondered if anybody has any experience with these little guys.
I have used the old style ones that let air in via the top, however these look great as they will let no air in, only co2.
Just wondered if anybody else has used these and successfully force carbed with these little co2 bulbs.
I know people may say to get a corny but I don't have the sort of space for all the equipment and thought these would be ideal.
Cheer
Attachments
SmartSelect_20200928-094409_Chrome.jpg

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Mini keg carbonation and dispensing

Post by Cobnut » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,

I have re-used commercial mini-kegs - strong fingers or careful use of pliers is the way to remove and re-use the top "plug".

Then treat it like a big bottle - 10-12g sugar is sufficient.

I also bought one of the Party Star taps and some CO2 bulbs. These are NOT for force carbing, they're for serving via the tap.

I have since moved to Cornies, so if you're interested in a very slightly used Party Star Tap, I'm sure we could come to an arrangement...

Cobnut
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:59 pm

How long would the beer stay fresh when using a party star tap? I've been looking at the Klarstein Skal taps which have cooing as well as don't have room for a second fridge. Thinking of using it for bitters that are good low carbonation and cellar temp, and continue bottling lagers / APA etc.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:29 pm

If you're dispensing with CO2 it'll stay fresh a long time. Longer if kept cold.

If you're not using a fridge and just putting these in cellar/garage then do consider using one of the plastic pressure barrels. They work really nicely for lower carbonation beers and are easy to clean. You can dispense either using the little CO2 bulbs or a sodastream bottle with an adapter.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm

ben034 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:59 pm
How long would the beer stay fresh when using a party star tap? I've been looking at the Klarstein Skal taps which have cooing as well as don't have room for a second fridge. Thinking of using it for bitters that are good low carbonation and cellar temp, and continue bottling lagers / APA etc.
I only used the Party Star tap with the standard top valves you get with commercial 5L mini-kegs (https://www.brewuk.co.uk/easy-keg-bung.html) and the shaft of the tap didn't seal very well. This is a problem when the Party Star tap relies on pressure in the keg (augmented by the CO2 bulb) to push the beer out.

You can get rubber pierce-through bungs which I suspect would work better (https://www.brewuk.co.uk/minikeg-bung.html).

Tap is still looking for a new home... ;-)
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, had cleared a couple of things up.
I have ordered the party star tap also, never hurts to have a 2nd though I guess lol

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Cobnut, how much would you sell the tap for?

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:29 am

Got my Party Star tap after reading about it here, and haven't brewing yet myself into the barrel, but so rather than buy and empty barrel at £7, I bought a full one for £15. I'll resume the Barrell once empty.

Anyway, so attached the Party Star and so far so good. Pours nice and provides a superior feel to having a beer.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

---- Keep Calm and Brew On ----

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am

I still have a redundant Party Star Tap available if anyone is interested...

Looks like they're selling for around £48 new (+ postage).

Mine has been used a handful of times, so is in near mint condition.

£30 post inclusive to whoever asks first :)