Another keezer build

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
McMullan

Another keezer build

Post by McMullan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Bought a budget chest freezer that was on sale and cheaper than buying a used one locally. It’s a nice block shape, perfect for a keezer. No fancy curves, handles or electronic housings to struggle with building over. An absolute bog standard, no thrills chest freezer.

I’m not in a hurry so it’s most likely going to be a slow-build project.

IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG

McMullan

Re: Another keezer build

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Removed lid after cutting the wire to the light 8-[ then scratched plastic freezer lip and timber with 40 grit to key surfaces before wiping over with white spirit to remove loose debris, grease, etc. Cup of tea while that evaporated then applied 2 parallel beads of water proof No More Nails. Weighted the collar with kegs after positioning. The collar is higher than originally planned (only timber I had available was 200 mm) but It brings things up to ‘bar’ height and means two 29L kegs can be stacked in the keezer if I ever want.
IMG_0196.JPG
I'll leave it like this for a day or two.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:59 am

I managed to do a little bit on the keezer build this morning. Drilled out some holes in the back of the collar for service ports.
IMG_0199.JPG
The compressor shelf is on the righthand side and needs more ports to accommodate CO2, pressure transfers, temperature probe cable, dehumidifier and a fan cables (if the one in the dehumidifier isn’t sufficient to promote enough circulation). The port on the left is there ‘just in case’.
Last edited by McMullan on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:05 am

For ports I’m using old White Lab’s yeast vials cut down to the depth of the wood (36mm). They require a 28mm hole.
IMG_0200.JPG
Last edited by McMullan on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:05 am

IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Looks a nice neat job so far and I like the ports idea.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:07 pm

IMG_0206.JPG
I used Gorilla Glue to fix the ports. It needs a little mist spray of water to activate it, then it expands as it cures, which is perfect for this kind of application. I also ran another bead of water proof No Nails around the inside bottom edge of the collar, to make sure it’s sealed well, although it’s probably not necessary after the next step.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:17 am

Lined the inside of the collar with its first layer of XPS. Second layer to go one once a new sealed lip is fitted. XPS is an excellent thermal insulator, resistant to freeze-thaw, highly moisture resistant and fairly easy to work with. It sticks fine with No More Nails or Gorilla Glue. Best to clamp it, especially if using Gorilla Glue which expands like a foam as it cures.
IMG_0213.JPG

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am

Looks great. Really neat, much better than mine.

Are you going to attach taps to the collar? Insulation on the inside might need to be removed to firmly attach the back nut.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Jocky wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am
Looks great. Really neat, much better than mine.

Are you going to attach taps to the collar? Insulation on the inside might need to be removed to firmly attach the back nut.
I’m not a fan of taps fitted through the collar, tbh. I find them a bit low and uncomfortable to pour from. I’ll go for either one or two towers or a ‘coffin box’ on top. A spacer of some kind is going to protect the foam, if taps were fitted through the collar, though. The XPS is pretty tough when sandwiched.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 pm

A slight delay on finishing the keezer lip so can't reattach the lid yet, as I'm waiting for delivery of some materials from the UK. Now lost in the 'careful' hands of Posten, Norway's 'best postal service in the world', per capita, according to the results of a secret survey handed to the UN in a brown envelope :lol: They couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery. Anyway, in the meantime I drilled a number of pocket holes around the collar and used 5.5mm x 60mm screws to 'belt and brace' things up to nuclear bunker standards. Just in case. No need to worry about the screws damaging any pipework. There shouldn't be any pipework that far up the freezer wall. The No More Nails with well keyed surfaces is probably sufficient, tbh.
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

MarkF_2703
Steady Drinker

Post by MarkF_2703 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Great stuff, looking for inspration myself, I have 3 30 litre kegs, I have used 2 under counter fridges in the past with tower/tap above on a work top.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm

A keezer is definitely a better way to accommodate 3 30L kegs. If using, say, S-type couplers, it might not be possible to stack them. I think I could get 3 in my keezer.
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
I think I'd do a pressure transfer after placing the empty keg in there, to save my back or an embarrassing accident - I think a full 30L keg has a good chance of falling straight through the bottom of the keezer.

Anyway, I've now received stuff I was waiting for so the project's going to restart shortly...

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am

I didn’t realise you could fit a tri clamp adapter on a sankey, that’s really smart
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:51 am

mozza wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am
I didn’t realise you could fit a tri clamp adapter on a sankey, that’s really smart
These are actually kegmenters (KegLand) with 4” TCs. They can be used for fermentation (including under pressure), conditioning and serving. They do 2” TC adaptors for standard Sankey kegs too:

IMG_0060.JPG

I find they work very well and they're compatible with a standard disconnect set up.