Line Cleaning and connection sequence

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Line Cleaning and connection sequence

Post by Hudson1984 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 pm

ok, so first time corny user and wanting to do the right thing.

so, the cider is in Keg 1 couple of weeks off being ready.
wine is due to go into keg 2 december 2nd.

I'd like to do a stout for keg 3.

Now, I'm considering buying a small keg purely for line cleaning.

I've never carbonated before so can someone correct the below:

i'm intending to get some line cleaner (any brand recomendations here? or does starsan suffice?)
chuck it in the small keg.
Clean the line
rinse if required depending on cleaner.
Connect the wine/stout/cider.

I assume I should only do this when the product is "drinkable" or can I connect gas and taps and still leave it to condition? `

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Line Cleaning and connection sequence

Post by Jocky » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:12 pm

You don’t need a keg to clean lines. Buy a carbonation cap, put the line cleaner in a plastic bottle and then either squeeze the bottle to push the cleaner through, or just add a bit of gas to the bottle.

As for when to do it, you can clean the line any time. I’d avoid connecting the gas until you want to put carbon dioxide pressure on the keg. If you’re force carbonating that would be as soon as the keg is full, if you’re naturally carbonating then wait until you’re ready to serve.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:14 pm

And starsan is not a cleaner, it’s a sanitiser.

You can buy caustic beer line cleaner, but a bit of warm PBW/percarbonate seems to work just fine for me as long as you don’t leave it in the lines for more than a few minutes.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:16 pm

I'll order some PBW or chem clean or something, I've not got any anyway, and have really just been sanitising rather than cleaning - noob mistake again

to be honest, i've no idea if I should be force carbing or not!

I've primed as per instructions of the kit, but other than that it's not had any C02 added - i'm keen for fizz on the cider.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 am

I use a garden sprayer with the lance cut off, a JG fitting to connect to the tap via its tubing. Put some purple beer line cleaner in and pump up the pressure, open the tap to allow the cleaner to flow. Rinse out PBC refill with fresh water and flush through. I have a three way JG fitting to clean 3 taps and lines in one go.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 am

I have 3 taps (but currently only 2 working secondary regulators - really must replace the defective 3rd one) and rarely do I need to clean all 3 taps at once.

As Jocky suggests I use a carbonation cap on a PET bottle which is filled with warm PBW, then with fresh water and thirdly with Starsan. I gas the bottle for each liquid and then connect it to the keg disconnect leading to the tap/line to be cleaned. I tend to use 2L bottle roughly half full, get plenty of "cleaning" fluid through.

Seems to be working OK for me so far.

My latest Helles is carbonating at present and will be ready for serving in a week or so :)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:44 am

couldn't point me in the right direction of this carbonation cap could ya?

It's pretty much why I was intending to get the small keg so handy I don't really need it for this job

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:49 am

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... aning-cap/

You can get it from most home brew suppliers, although there is quite a useful video linked on that page.

Just be extremely careful if you do end up getting caustic beer line cleaner as it is very nasty stuff, ensure you wear protection and maybe test with water first as you don’t really want caustic stuff bursting out under pressure; it looks like you are going with PBW or similar but it’s worth mentioning anyway.