Cornie keg seals and poppets.

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
nigebeer
Sober

Cornie keg seals and poppets.

Post by nigebeer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi,
Where do you all purchase your keg poppets and seals from, for the ball lock type kegs, I would have thought there would be lots of suppliers for these items.
Thank you

McMullan

Re: Cornie keg seals and poppets.

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:37 pm

There's nothing special about corny keg seals. Standard sizes you'll be able to source almost anywhere. You'll have to search the internet for corny specific sizes. There are lists published online by home brewers. Google it :wink:

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 pm

But universal poppets from eBay. Seals too.

This is a good kit that will give you all the spares you need in case of a problem: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cornelius-Ke ... 4150087615
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:44 am

Jocky wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 pm

This is a good kit that will give you all the spares you need in case of a problem: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cornelius-Ke ... 4150087615
£25 [-X [-X . I only paid €26 each for my Cornie kegs
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 am

Not easy to find kegs at that price any more.

There’s a small premium on that spares kit, but it has everything (including spare posts) and for people that starting off and aren’t sure about all of the parts it’s a great thing to have.

After all, you only tend to find out that a keg seal has failed when you’re trying to use it, and have an entire keg of beer at risk.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Jocky wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 pm

I thought they were a bit steep, but the inclusion of posts makes the pack very decent - if you need the posts.

Some things I would point out though: The kit presumes you have the now most common (exclusively so?) second-hand Corny designs (all AEB I think, stumpy with continuous rubber ring on top/bottom mouldings, posts not arranged directly opposite on circumference). If you have some of the other designs (taller and narrower, commonly sold a few years back) the fittings are a bit more variable and some even have different threads on the posts. Very occasionally (only twice)I have the "universal" poppets turn in these "other" posts, which would be disastrous but its very obvious when it happens and the disconnect just removed is still in your hand so its put back on, quickly! (You then have the time to think how to deal with it).

The other issue I see is the silicon lid O-ring. They supposed to seal better. A myth. You can get marginally thicker O-rings which do seal better.
IPA wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:44 am
… I only paid €26 each for my Cornie kegs
They were the days! However, the quality was a bit random!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:48 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Some things I would point out though: The kit presumes you have the now most common (exclusively so?) second-hand Corny designs (all AEB I think, stumpy with continuous rubber ring on top/bottom mouldings, posts not arranged directly opposite on circumference). If you have some of the other designs (taller and narrower, commonly sold a few years back) the fittings are a bit more variable and some even have different threads on the posts. Very occasionally (only twice)I have the "universal" poppets turn in these "other" posts, which would be disastrous but its very obvious when it happens and the disconnect just removed is still in your hand so its put back on, quickly! (You then have the time to think how to deal with it).

The other issue I see is the silicon lid O-ring. They supposed to seal better. A myth. You can get marginally thicker O-rings which do seal better.
All good points. The threading on some posts is a problem. I’d check all your kegs to make sure you know what the threads are on each one. Most are 19/32”, some are 9/16” and you can find spares for both on eBay.

If you’re very unlucky with an imported US keg you’ll have something different, and if you lose the posts for one of those it’ll cost you near £30 to get a replacement from the USA (speaking of £26 kegs... guess how I know about these other thread sizes).

Anyway, get some spares for your keg. And some silicone grease for the seals. Otherwise one day a seal will go and you’ll have precious beer dribbling out everywhere and no way to fix it.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 am

That was 26 Euros not Pounds. And that was when a Pound bought you 1.26 Euros. Glad that I bought 12 cornies. Never had a problem with any of them.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)