How can I use my Keggarator for draught style homebrew?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Jstinchy
Tippler

How can I use my Keggarator for draught style homebrew?

Post by Jstinchy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi,

This is my first post! I've never brewed before but thinking of giving homebrewing a go!

I've looked at the different Coopers/Mangrove Jack and the initial brewing seems pretty straight forward.

I've got the following beer dispenser, which I've used with Budvar, Krombacher and Heineken, and it has the option to use CO2 cannisters to dispense unpressurised beers.

https://www.expondo.co.uk/royal-caterin ... r-10010978

My question: after initially brewing, if I syphon the beer into a 5l mini keg can I use it as 'draught' beer? Will the CO2 cannister in the machine pressurise the beer? Basically, how will I pressurise the keg?

Was thinking of using of the following mini kegs.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/k ... ubber-plug

Hope that makes sense.

If there are any posts/videos you can direct me to for a complete beginner please do!

Thanks in advance.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: How can I use my Keggarator for draught style homebrew?

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 pm

I’ve not seen that particular product, is it compatible with those mini kegs?

Jstinchy
Tippler

Post by Jstinchy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 pm

Yeah. I've been using the pressurised 5l kegs sold on beerwulf.
But also used the Budvar with the pull tab at the top. You take that off and connect the tap and use the CO2 to pour.

Just struggling to get my head around getting the beer into a mini keg then carbonating

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:26 am

The mini kegs are suitable for using with home brew and can be reused too, although they do have a limited lifespan.
You fill them carefully with the finished beer (siphon or using a tap and tubing, being careful to avoid splashing) and some priming sugar (less than you would use for bottling - maybe someone else can confirm on the amount but it’s usually about half the bottling rate).
It looks like that machine can be set in a decent temperature range (cold to cellar) but can you alter the pressure applied from the dispense cartridges? If not you might find some styles gradually become over-carbonated, as it’s probably fixed for lager.
The mini kegs are the same as some breweries sell in the supermarkets or direct, it might be worth trying one of these first to see if they are compatible with your machine if no one else is able to confirm (there are quite a few similar devices but they can be different in practice and compatibility).

Jstinchy
Tippler

Post by Jstinchy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Yeah I read that around 5 carbonated drops should do the trick for a 5l mini keg.
I can't alter the carbon flow, think that's more for the actual pressure to pour the beer through the tap.

Temp ranges from either 2°C -12°C.
If I keg the beer into a mini keg, add the carbon drops, then seal the top with the rubber stopper would that then be enough to carbonate? When I first seal to I need to lower the temp? If so, at what for how long?

The machine is compatible for all standard sized 5l mini kegs so I can chill in the machine if needed (that's what I plan to pour it from).

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:59 pm

I don’t think a rubber bung would hold the pressure generated in a keg. The machine itself should hold pressure, so you might be able to add the sugar to carbonate then attach the keg to the machine.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jstinchy
Tippler

Post by Jstinchy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks mate. I'll have a look into it.
Is there a post on here for the complete beginner guide to homebrew? What you need? Temps times etc

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Have a look at the Home Page on this site. Lots of useful info.

Guy