Bottling from a keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Bottling from a keg

Post by FUBAR » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:23 pm

IPA wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:10 pm
Jocky wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 pm
Brewbrite already has carageenan (protafloc) in it, so shouldn’t need any more.
It does. That highlights why I am fed up with explaining. There is only a tiny amount of chondras crispus also know as (correct spelling caragheen) in BrewBright. The correct additions for 23 litres of wort are 4 gr BrewBright and 1.3 gr,half a tablet,of protofloc. Just try it and see the result.
Yes there has been a couple of times that I have forgotten to add the protofloc to the boil with the brewbright, soon notice my error by the sample of wort drawn off for OG testing etc . Certainly won't have dropped crystal clear fast like it does if both have been added .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:12 pm

IPA wrote:
richard080561 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:19 pm
I have some gelatin so I will use some in a batch that I will be bottling in a few days.
Then maybe get some BrewBrite for the next batch that I plan to bottle
When using BrewBrite mix it with a little cold water to make a milky solution before adding it to the boil. No matter what the instructions say. And don't forget the Protofloc.
Good advice. For the Op, don’t mix it too early or you will come back to a solid coagulated block. It’s amazing stuff though.

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:51 am

IPA wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:14 pm

There is a method of producing bottle conditioned beer with no detectable sediment. You can empty the whole contents into a glass and still have crystal clear beer. I am fed up with explaining how to do it.
I am trying your method IPA, I have added the brewbrite and half a protofloc to the boil. The gravity this morning is 1.019 so I am coming up to adding the gelatine.

I am fermenting in a 25 litre barrel which has quite a head space and I have another the same. My dilemma is whether to rack the beer into the other barrel and add the gelatine but there is a head space of two litres which will potentially oxygenate the beer. Or to just drop the gelatine through the bung hole and give it a bit of a wallow around with a spoon handle. Less risky but doesn't get it off the sediment or mix the gelatine thoroughly. what are anyone's thoughts please?
PXL_20230315_092910597.jpg
PXL_20230315_092910597.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2688 times

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:23 am

I think IPA is the man for this. I think he has mentioned his process before somewhere 🤔😁

But I would rack it for before adding.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:25 am

Here it is.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83835&p=863638#p863638

Ps. Thanks for the pic. Given me an idea what to do with an old commercial freezer.

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:02 pm

There is probably no right or wrong way and beer has been racked into secondary fermenters for years without problem.

This is my old commercial freezer, it has been sat in a shed for 20 years since I stopped using it and remarkably it still works so I thought this would be a much better use for it.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:18 pm

On the subject of bottling. Gas hose fits perfect in thy nozzle of a party tap. Making a fantastic bottom filler.

I need to "port" my fridge as well for my chiller reservoir.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 pm

Rack it into another vessel before adding the gelatine. If you don't the gelatine will disappear into that thick layer of yeast and trub that I can see on the bottom. The gelatine works by trapping the yeast on the bottom of the FV and it can't work when there is such a thick layer already there. Don't get paranoid about oxygen the remaining active yeast will take care of it.
For best results when the gelatine has done it's job transfer to another vessel and add the diluted priming sugar before kegging or bottling.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:33 pm

IPA wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 pm
Don't get paranoid about oxygen the remaining active yeast will take care of it.
Many thanks for the reassurance, that was my worry. After quite few hours work I didn't want to screw it up.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:52 pm

If the yeast are at all active, they will take up every bit of oxygen they can. The problem comes when there are no yeast or no active yeast.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.