Bottling from a keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Mike123
Tippler

Bottling from a keg

Post by Mike123 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:10 pm

I am just wondering how successful bottling from a conditioned keg would be. I like to have bottles around for taking out and giving away but the I find the sediment in primed bottles a bit of a nuisance. If beer is conditioned and carbonated in a keg and then transferred to a bottle and capped does it keep just the same as priming in the bottle?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Bottling from a keg

Post by Jocky » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:05 pm

As long as you fill the bottle fairly high (about 1cm from the top) and cap it with foam coming out the neck, then the beer will keep very well. I'd also recommend using crown caps, as nearly all of them have an oxygen scavenging liner

The only difficulty is getting the beer in the bottle without excessive foaming.

If you're using Corny or Sankey kegs with a CO2 tank attached then a beer gun or counter pressure filler are ideal. I have a 'Tapcooler' counter pressure filler and I've bottled delicate beers (e.g. very highly hopped hazy IPAs) and left them at room temperature for weeks without a noticeable degradation in aroma/flavour.

If you're using a plastic keg it's a bit harder. You'll need to not have too much pressure in the keg so the beer can be filled into the bottle gently with not too much foam, rather than spraying it out. Getting the keg as cold as you can helps a lot with this. You may also find that a length of tubing attached to the tap helps with this. Longer tubing lengths will help reduce foaming but also slow down how fast the beer comes out of the keg.

Hope that helps!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:49 pm

I would be using a keg with co2 attached and I was thinking of attaching my bottle filler to a length of pipe from the keg. Thanks that's really helpful, it was more the keeping aspect I was concerned about. I hadn't thought about getting the keg as cool as possible but that would really help to keep the co2 in the beer

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:06 am

[If you’re bottling from a corny keg and you have the keg cold you can fill a bottle using a party tap on around 2 metres of 3/16” beer line.

This beer was at 16 PSI at 5C. If you have your beer at a lower pressure then you can use a bit less beer line.

Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:14 pm

Mike123 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:10 pm
I am just wondering how successful bottling from a conditioned keg would be. I like to have bottles around for taking out and giving away but the I find the sediment in primed bottles a bit of a nuisance. If beer is conditioned and carbonated in a keg and then transferred to a bottle and capped does it keep just the same as priming in the bottle?
There is a method of producing bottle conditioned beer with no detectable sediment. You can empty the whole contents into a glass and still have crystal clear beer. I am fed up with explaining how to do it.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:14 pm
Mike123 wrote:
There is a method of producing bottle conditioned beer with no detectable sediment. You can empty the whole contents into a glass and still have crystal clear beer. I am fed up with explaining how to do it.
I assume this is what you are not going to explain again?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83835&p=863638#p863638
Richard M
Cardiff

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:29 am

richard080561 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm
IPA wrote:
Mike123 wrote:
No

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:50 am

IPA wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:29 am
richard080561 wrote:
IPA wrote:

No
:) I'll have to keep searching your posts then
Richard M
Cardiff

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:48 am

IPA wrote:
richard080561 wrote:
IPA wrote:

No
BrewBrite,Protofloc and Gelatine?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83733&p=862840&hil ... ne#p862840
Richard M
Cardiff

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:35 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:48 am
IPA wrote:
richard080561 wrote:

No
BrewBrite,Protofloc and Gelatine?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83733&p=862840&hil ... ne#p862840
=D> =D> Well done Sherlock

Follow those instructions and you will produce better bottle conditioned beer than any commercial brewery.

Those who wish to brew usually brew cloudy beer. Those who can brew produce bright beer even wheat beers.

Alone we travel faster

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:19 pm

I have some gelatin so I will use some in a batch that I will be bottling in a few days.
Then maybe get some BrewBrite for the next batch that I plan to bottle
Richard M
Cardiff

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:19 pm
I have some gelatin so I will use some in a batch that I will be bottling in a few days.
Then maybe get some BrewBrite for the next batch that I plan to bottle
When using BrewBrite mix it with a little cold water to make a milky solution before adding it to the boil. No matter what the instructions say. And don't forget the Protofloc.

Alone we travel faster

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 pm

Brewbrite already has carageenan (protafloc) in it, so shouldn’t need any more.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:10 pm

Jocky wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 pm
Brewbrite already has carageenan (protafloc) in it, so shouldn’t need any more.
It does. That highlights why I am fed up with explaining. There is only a tiny amount of chondras crispus also know as (correct spelling caragheen) in BrewBright. The correct additions for 23 litres of wort are 4 gr BrewBright and 1.3 gr,half a tablet,of protofloc. Just try it and see the result.

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Blimey. Word for word, it would have been quicker to cut n paste it 😁