Gluten free Barley malt syrup

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
simon12
Hollow Legs

Re: Gluten free Barley malt syrup

Post by simon12 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Delivered this morning they sent me 3 jars of about 1.45Kg so decided to aim for 20l with 2 jars doing a 60 min boil with 11g Taget 60 min and 2 x 20g EKG at 20 & 10 mins to make hopefully an english best bitter. The stuff does not want to dissolve, I could scoop out syrupy stuff from the bottom until 5 mins after it was boiling is this normal for extract? Its cooling at the moment and looks a good amber colour. SG is 1.049 with 20l in the boiler.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Bottled it yesterday a bit early but I wanted to try it before I am away on the 6th. Its a bit cloudy but not overly good, copper colour. Had a taste and very good.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Not the best picture but to give an idea what it looks like.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Took its picture in the fridge to try to get the lighting right it has a strong toffee flavour so for my taste needed more hops to offset it, its now very clear unlike when it was bottled. I am going to get some in around the end of the month. If anyone want to try it I will sell 1l/1.4Kg or 2.5l/3.5Kg packs at cost £9 for 1.4Kg £14.50 for 3.5Kg this includes VAT & delivery by courier as long as you send be a brief review of it when you have tried it. If you are interested please post here and don't feel you are committing to in until I get it in I would just like to know if there is any interest beyond whats already been posted.
Didn't realise it would be so big

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm up for trying it.
Just trying to decide between the larger pack, or 2 of the smaller.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Because the price includes delivery you could have 2 small packs for the price of 1 large

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:56 pm

2 small then, I can try short runs of two different recipes

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:39 pm

After trying this a few more times I must say the toffee flavour is far to strong unless you want a very toffee beer, I don't think hops alone will balance it maybe sugar to dry it out more and water down the toffee, FG was 1.016. I am hoping when I get the German sample that will be like the maris otter and this will be the crystal.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:00 pm

Slight change of plan I got the German sample yesterday and made a batch with it so will be holding off ordering the other one until I see what this ones like. Old bloke if you PM me your address I will send you the jar of the 1st one I have left (around 1.4Kg) for nothing. Also ignore the FG I wrote above its not correct.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:56 am

Tried the beer made from the German extract over the weekend. despite the gravity finishing high @ 1.017 it has very little body. I think if its the only base product it could be used for lagers or hop forward IPAs with little to no grainyness. Also it has alot of chill haze. I suspect it will blend well with the other one.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed May 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi,
A bit late to this one but I'd be interested in some of this if you get some decent results and a supply sorted. I quite like a lager/pale ale style so may be of interest. I'm coeliac too so looking for a regular supply of something that makes decent GF beer. I've got rid of all of my all grain stuff but still have a boiler for extract so this would be ideal.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed May 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Chuck wrote:Hi,
A bit late to this one but I'd be interested in some of this if you get some decent results and a supply sorted. I quite like a lager/pale ale style so may be of interest. I'm coeliac too so looking for a regular supply of something that makes decent GF beer. I've got rid of all of my all grain stuff but still have a boiler for extract so this would be ideal.
Simplest solution at present seems to be adding a vial of ClarityFerm when you pitch the yeast. Then you can make anything you like, by whatever method you like.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Sun May 10, 2015 11:09 pm

oldbloke wrote:
Chuck wrote:Hi,
Simplest solution at present seems to be adding a vial of ClarityFerm when you pitch the yeast. Then you can make anything you like, by whatever method you like.

Thanks. I've used clarity ferm a few times before but decided I'm not going to use it any more since I have no way of knowing or testing how much gluten is removed/remaining.
Although I haven't had any obvious reaction to any of the clarity ferm brews I've done, I can't be certain that it isn't doing any internal damage, and the long term effects of that don't justify the risk in my opinion. As such, I'm still looking for a certified gluten free barley alternative that produces something close to real beer. Might be wishful thinking it I'll keep trying.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:06 am

My later tasting of the German extract I think its better than I initially thought. I plan to have both types for sale soonish (maybe around the end of the month) but still can't get a price out of the germans, the other one will be about the same price as normal extract ie £10-12 per tin. As for clarity ferm I am coeliac and have no problem drinking it and all test info (very limited amount) shows the end beer is always gluten free, but this is when made by experienced brewers while amateur home brewers may get more bits (for want of a better word) in there end product that may or may not have gluten in.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon May 11, 2015 1:17 pm

simon12 wrote:My later tasting of the German extract I think its better than I initially thought. I plan to have both types for sale soonish (maybe around the end of the month) but still can't get a price out of the germans, the other one will be about the same price as normal extract ie £10-12 per tin. As for clarity ferm I am coeliac and have no problem drinking it and all test info (very limited amount) shows the end beer is always gluten free, but this is when made by experienced brewers while amateur home brewers may get more bits (for want of a better word) in there end product that may or may not have gluten in.
That's interesting. Out of interest, if you are happy to put your trust in clarity ferm to remove the gluten from 'normal' brews, why are you going to so much effort to fint an alternative grain/extract? I think it's doubtful that any of these substitutes wil produce anything as good as regular kits/recipes so it seems like a lot of effort to go to, to achieve an inferior product if you're already happy using clarity ferm. I have also read all of the available research, and am aware that a lot of the commercially available gluten free beers use clarity ferm but they then test each individual batch to confirm the gluten content, something which I cannot do, and I am not prepared to take the risk. Having seen the physical damage caused to my insides by gluten I personally would prefer to have complete confidence that what I produce is GF and the only way I can guarantee that is to use GF ingredients.
Thanks,