Gluten free lager / pilsener

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Gluten free lager / pilsener

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:22 pm

Hi guys, I'm about to start brewing some beers again after a long lay off due to one thing or another. I have everything I need kit wise , can someone point me in the direction of some recipes or worthwhile reading on the subject ? Thanks in advance 🍻

This is not specifically for me, I'm hoping to get a pilsner or two and a Vienna lager on in the meantime.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Gluten free lager / pilsener

Post by Cobnut » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm

If you want to go gluten free (reduced), the best suggestion I can offer is to use some Clarex enzyme in the fermenter. Malt Miller sell this in small bottles - you only need about 0.5ml in a 23L/5Gallon batch. I think they call it “NBS Clarity”.

I have not personally proven that this delivers gluten free beer, but I know HBers who use this and then give the beer to friends/relatives who are gluten sensitive/intolerant and the reports are that they are able to drink the beers with no ill effects.
Fermenting: pseudo “beyond the Firs” (Burnt mill beer clone), Geuze
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export Stout, Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine), Dobbin 2 dark mild
Planning: Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!