Coopers stout with 2kg brew enhancer?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
monkhouse

Re: Coopers stout with 2kg brew enhancer?

Post by monkhouse » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Ah bollocks! Ffs ditch! Ok it's on hold now until we can all decide what's to go in it, u all know what I'm after now, a strong almost imperial stout using the ingredients I have (I can always buy brown sugar no problem)
Ditch I do like your receipe but I really am after a high abv...

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Sling two kits in? Or, do what I did ~ Once! ~ and make it to 3 gallons? I can't vouch for the %'s involved there. But, it was independently verified as tasting fantastic. And, I can assure ye, it was Strong! :shock:

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:50 pm

I would ditch but I can't stand the thought of missing out on 2 whole gallons of beer! As for the 2 kits idea I just can't afford it lol!

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:52 pm

:shock: Two gallons??? So, ye planning to make Five gallons .... With one kit ..... And ye can't afford more?

My man; You're doomed to failure and disappointment there. Sorry. What ye have in mind simply can't be done.

Can I make a suggestion? My best idea, going on what I'm getting here? How about ye check out that " Turbo Cider " routine? I understand it's cheap as chips to make. And, I imagine, it might be makable to some pretty hair raising potencies. Should be a flavour ye can live with too?

I'm sure a couple of the guys on here have experience with it. Maybe they can advise ye further? I know it's not " RIS ". But then, nor is RIS cheap :|

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:18 am

No need to be like that ditch ;) not into making turbo cider just a strong stout- ok maybe not 5 gallons more like 20l so 4 uk gallons if u wanna get pedantic. Bottom line is I am on a shoestring , I dunno I just hoped that with my ingredients I could make a nice tasting yet strong stout without having to resort to buying another kit but the impression I get from people is that I'm a bit far off the mark here and am still not too wise at brewing yet. I've brewed allot of different kits over the years I've been doing this I just wanted to try something a bit different but I'm thinking I will just stick to the kit instructions to be on the safe side tbh I can't really afford to screw it up i just got a bit over excited! :oops:
Thanks for the advice guys happy brewing!

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:57 am

Monk house, in my opinion it is about experimenting a bit. You probably won't get an amazing, blow ya socks off brew, but you can make a strong brew. I say go for it, you never know until you try. It will still be drinkable at the end of the day.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:34 pm

monk,
Have you made this Brew yet?
Manngold wrote:Monk house, in my opinion it is about experimenting a bit. You probably won't get an amazing, blow ya socks off brew, but you can make a strong brew. I say go for it, you never know until you try. It will still be drinkable at the end of the day.
As Manngold says, play about a bit! All Good Fun! :D

My first Ditchs Stout was to the letter of HIS recipe and came out at 4.6% abv. Still a lovely pint! :D
Next one was to 3 Gallons ( I think ) 6% abv
Then another 3 gall stout 6.3%
Next one 18Lts + 1 bottle Golden Syrup 5.5% abv
Next one 18Lts + 2 Mugs Dem Sugar 6.3% abv
Next one 2 can coopers stout to 20Lts, 500gr med spraymalt, 500gr demerara sugar abv 6.6% so rich and thick you can stand a spoon in the glass! :D
Next one to 19Lts, 1kg med spraymalt,500gr dem sugar 6% abv

Good variations on the abv of stout as you can see. Your 7 - 9% brew will have to brewed well below 15Lts to get that figure! #-o
I think Monkeybrews was down to 10Lts to get his 8.5% abv! And that was just Bloody Lovely Mun! :D
Up to you now! Keep us informed please! :D

WA

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:06 am

Just drinking a pint of the 19Lt version as I type very slowly and clumsily (just googled clumsily, didn`t look right). #-o
It is a Great Pint! :D

WA

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Nope haven't tried brewing it yet I haven't had a moment, thanks for all those different variations on the stout mate I will as you say just experiment with this one, probably 20l, 1kg enhancer, 500g dme and soft brown sugar (maybe 400g) and just see what happens! Lol to be fair even if it tastes like total crap I'm still gonna drink it! I've had some really undeniably bad brews in the past that by rights should have been sink fodder but nah, still drank it haha!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:50 pm

monkhouse wrote:Nope haven't tried brewing it yet I haven't had a moment, thanks for all those different variations on the stout mate I will as you say just experiment with this one, probably 20l, 1kg enhancer, 500g dme and soft brown sugar (maybe 400g) and just see what happens! Lol to be fair even if it tastes like total crap I'm still gonna drink it! I've had some really undeniably bad brews in the past that by rights should have been sink fodder but nah, still drank it haha!
monk,
Soft brown sugar comes in 500gr or 1kg bags. Put in 500gr not 400gr, why keep 100gr?
It won`t taste Crap, it will be awesome! :D
You can`t fail with Coopers Stout! Hic! :D #-o

WA

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Cheers mate that's exactly what u will do then! Thanks for helping me make my mind up on this one, can't wait to start brewing it, gotta get thru my barrel of coopers draught (it's crap btw- even used enhancer with it but I won't be brewing it again) then I will be able to barrel it, then again by the time the stout is ready to barrel the crap draught will be drunk anyway! Cheers!

davew
Piss Artist

Post by davew » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 am

Just chuck in what you have and half a pint of plain old white sugar and brew to 20l I'm sure it will be fine. I've brewed a number of variations and the coopers always comes out nice. I prefer it bottled and chilled but it is still drinkable straight from the fv.
Fermenting: Wilkos Cider
Drinking: Wilkos Hoppy Copper (very nice)

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 pm

We'll I've done it, as I had decided I did coopers stout with 1kg enhancer, 500g medium spraymalt, 500g soft brown sugar and the supplied coopers yeast. Sg was a high 1.070 lol!
Krausen head can literally be watched getting higher and higher haha I may need towels under it I'm scared it's gonna come out the damn airlock!
Hoping for fg of around 1.010 giving me abv of around 8% and fingers crossed it will actually be drinkable!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 am

monkhouse wrote:We'll I've done it, as I had decided I did coopers stout with 1kg enhancer, 500g medium spraymalt, 500g soft brown sugar and the supplied coopers yeast. Sg was a high 1.070 lol!
Krausen head can literally be watched getting higher and higher haha I may need towels under it I'm scared it's gonna come out the damn airlock!
Hoping for fg of around 1.010 giving me abv of around 8% and fingers crossed it will actually be drinkable!
monk,
You will probably find your airlock and lid embedded in the ceiling! :D
Put the FV in a bin bag if you haven`t got a trug. Bin bags and towels on the floor too!

WA

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Mon May 04, 2015 7:47 pm

I think it's safe, I came down this morning to check it and the krausen has reached all the way up to the black lid but hasn't got into airlock, and the head had died back down a bit now, it's bubbling the airlock like crazy tho- almost a constant gurgle haha!