Woodforde's Admiral Reserve

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Swmbo got me an Admiral's Reserve kit for xmas last year so have put it on today as I had booked a half day. Brewed to instructions, other than ditching the supplied kit yeast (Muntons) as it is notorious for sticking, switched for Gervin G12 from Lakeland- repackaged Nottingham- which I rehydrated (first for me)

18L Brewlength
Og 1.054 at 23 degrees
Yeast pitched at 23 degrees
If it ferments out to 1.010 this will give final abv of 5.9 before priming, slightly higher than box estimate of 5.5.

Aiming to ferment for 3 weeks or so at 18-20 degrees. I have popped it in a waterbath with an aquarium heater set to 21 and will keep an eye on temps.

I have only done the wherry from Woodforde's which was slightly underwhelming so hopefully this will be better. Supplied EKG hop powder smelled great.
Attachments
IMAG0599.jpg
IMAG0600.jpg

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Woodforde's Admiral Reserve

Post by WalesAles » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:31 am

HB,
You forgot to throw in 1Kg Medium Spraymalt! :D
Then you will have a proper Pint! :D #-o

WA

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:50 am

WalesAles wrote:HB,
You forgot to throw in 1Kg Medium Spraymalt! :D
Then you will have a proper Pint! :D #-o

WA
:shock: Brewed straight this first time then will see (not to say I am not ELC oriented as I'm planning to do a Coopers Bitter with a ton of additions next!)

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Just a slight update on this one. The FG was 1.014 so I bottled this on 19th September and kept it at room temps to carbonate until 4th October. It has been outside in a plastic cabinet I store my brews in since then.

I tried one on Friday night (6th November). Carb was fine and got a decent head but taste wise I am really disappointed at the moment- because there isn't much at all :cry: Might need a little longer as I know Woodforde's kits tend to benefit from longer conditioning times but I am very close to giving up on kits and going to extract.

racinsnake

Post by racinsnake » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:19 pm

I legged mine, found it a cracking pint, never had it stick though maybe the yeast change could be your problem?

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:24 pm

racinsnake wrote:I legged mine, found it a cracking pint, never had it stick though maybe the yeast change could be your problem?
Hiya Racin

It didn't stick actually, good shout on the yeast (I did switch it)- the ABV was actually spot on at 5.5 (5.3 before priming), 1.054 OG and 1.014 SG. it's the taste that's the problem, as there isn't any! Going to try a few things, perhaps I was drinking it too warm, I took it straight out of the cupboard and didn't bother chilling it in advance for one, or leaving it until about xmas; at which point it's had it's 3 months in the bottle. It's not "off" flavours from too warm a ferment- again, it's LACK of flavour that's a problem! #-o

racinsnake

Post by racinsnake » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Ah see your problem and why you'd be looking to ditch kits (excuse the pun lol) not meaning to be contrary but I'd say warm would give off more flavour? I think your plan is a good one though and hopefully an unexpected Christmas present.

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:39 pm

racinsnake wrote:Ah see your problem and why you'd be looking to ditch kits (excuse the pun lol) not meaning to be contrary but I'd say warm would give off more flavour? I think your plan is a good one though and hopefully an unexpected Christmas present.
Ah Ditch's...now there's a foolproof homebrew!

Cheers mate...it's not unexpected; I have been telling her indoors I want a 15L stock pot for months [-o<

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Update on this...turned into a nice pint, much more flavour than the wherry and nice aftertaste. Great head on all the bottles and good lacing.

If I made it again I would consider adding additional EKG hops to amp up the hop sachet provided, but pretty pleased with it overall and sinkable at 5.5% or so.

:D
Attachments
IMAG0921.jpg
IMAG0920.jpg

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:12 pm

I'd agree it's a nice pint. Despite getting confused by the rubbish instructions and putting too much water in it, it ended up a nice pint. Perhaps lacking in hop aroma so I can understand those who dry hop it a bit. The bitterness level seems good. All in all I'd brew it again.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Hengoedbrewer wrote:Update on this...turned into a nice pint,
HB,
Glad to see you got your Mojo back! :D :D

WA

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 pm

WalesAles wrote:
HB,

WA
Coopers English Biiter with Fuggles and EKG next then an extract I think!

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Hengoedbrewer wrote:
WalesAles wrote:
HB,

WA
[quote="Coopers English Biiter with Fuggles and EKG next then an extract I think!
Sound good HB, I did a few coopers EB, very nice kit.

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Gaz- this will be my first. I was thinking of adding 1kg of brew enhancer plus a tin of golden syrup, hop additions 25g fuggles and 25g EKG boiled in water for 15 mins for a hop tea- have you modified the kit at all?

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 pm

A few, hop teas, steeped grains to add, used brew enhancer or dme. Your idea looks good.