Wherry woes.

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue May 30, 2006 10:35 am

Steev, how old is your King Keg ?

If it's old ( >1 yr ) then have you replaced the CO2 valve washers/seals ?

It does sound like you've got a leak somewhere. What happens if you pressurise with a squirt of CO2 and then leave it for a day or so, see if holds pressure.

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Tue May 30, 2006 11:27 am

It's my King Keg's first outing, which is why I'm sure it's user error.
I may not have gooped on enough Vaz on the O-Ring in the first place.
I did make sure the tap was closed tight, and that it was tightened from the inside, too.
I haven't got any CO2 eqpt yet. I'll do all the tests when I get some kit.
Thanks guys.

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Tue May 30, 2006 11:47 am

Ah!
That might explain it.. I did tighten it until my hand had heavy marks embedded into it.
Another nugget of wisdom from those here at J H B F :)

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Tue May 30, 2006 1:02 pm

In my early days of brewing, I had the same trouble with a new King Keg, it would loose all the pressure fairly soon, I must have used a full bottle of gas on 1 brew.

A friend of mine advised me to change the valve seals even though the barrel was new because there is no way of telling how long they have been on, the barrel could have been in a warehouse or the home brew shop for a few days or several months.

I did so and could not believe the differance in the size of the seals, they had streched quite a bit therefore must have been on the valve for ages.

I made a point of changing the seals immediately if I bought a new barrel, which I have done over the years and have had no more problems of that type since. I always smear the large O ring & threads with vaseline or petroleum gel, it helps to give a better seal and makes the cap easier to remove when the barrel is empty.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue May 30, 2006 1:42 pm

Yes, I recently changed the seals on both my KK's, cheap as chips for a seal kit but they're a reet b*gger to fit! :P

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Tue May 30, 2006 4:42 pm

By Jove I think we've cracked it!
Must've been the seal on the barrel cap.
I re-Vazzed (is that in the OED?) it last night,and I thought I'd give an exploratory turn of the tap this arvo.
Lo and behold, a full small glass of cloudy beer!
Tastes good though.
The second one is not so cloudy. Hopefully it could be down to what Andy said.
Once the seds have washed out, MAYBE it will start to clear. Whatever, I don't think I'll bother putting any more finings in. Maybe look at investing in a second fermenter?
Drinkable.. Happy.. Cheers fellers, you're all tops.
Right.. must get this drunk by the weekend ready for the Almondbury Old ;)

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Tue May 30, 2006 4:49 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ May 30 2006, 11:09 AM) Another thing that can happen when over tightening is for the cap to split round the edge, particularly is the pressue builds up in the keg. See the picture below (this one happened recently, its not from a King Keg but i've manage to split one in the past- damn i'm so buff! :P )

Hands like 2 bunches of bananas! :lol: