Lager kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Lager kit

Post by Andy » Thu May 11, 2006 1:29 pm

LHBS has http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1424.htm lager kit going for 1/2 price (best before date is April 2006).

Worth a punt ? Is it too warm this time of yr to brew lagers without suplimentary cooling ?

bod

Post by bod » Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 pm

i've yet top make a decent lager from a kit.... dunno what that says though.

for my house lager, that the mrs loves, i used Wyeast German Alt yeast, which technically is a ale yeast and works a treat! might be a bit over kill for a kit though.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu May 11, 2006 8:49 pm

This kit is one of Mrs Hillbilly's favourites.

While the best results from saflager yeast will be achieved from fermenting at lower temperatures ie 14-15 deg C, I was told by a friend that good results can still result from brewing at temperatures recommended for ale, ie 18-22 deg C.

The way I look at it you have 2 choices.

1. Grab the kit while it is half price and brew it now, but accept that you may not get true lager characteristics by fermenting at a slightly higher temp.

2. Grab the kit and wait until the weather cools down. As the best before date will then have expired by a few months, buy another sachet of saflager yeast and throw the one you got with the kit away and use that rather than the old sachet.

I have bought the odd out of date kit myself and simply threw the yeast away, bought fresh and I have had no problems. Either way, at 1/2 price it sounds too good a bargain to refuse!