Change Yeast supplied with all Beer Kits!

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
jogger321

Change Yeast supplied with all Beer Kits!

Post by jogger321 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:59 pm

I see this recommended a lot..I'm going to challenge it because I simply cannot believe that the "Quality" kit suppliers would provide inferior cheap yeasts in their 3kg kits..At the end of the day the yeasts must cost them pence to provide so why on a £15 plus kit would they want to compromise the final quality by supplying rubbish yeast?

Discuss :)

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:27 am

Yeast has a shelf life. ;)

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:32 am

QUOTE (Reg @ Jun 14 2006, 12:27 AM) Yeast has a shelf life. ;)
So purchasing your kits from a popular HBS with a high turn over, shouldn't cause a problem with yeast shelf life then?

All kits I've seen have a Best Before date on them, so surely this would include the yeast sachet contained in them?

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:00 am

They did a review of quality beer kits in the CBA journal 'Brewers Contact' a while back, and they said dried yeasts were much improved since the time wheeler was writing and it was usually fine to use the packaged yeast that came with them.

In terms of shelf life, doesn't kit yeast have a best before date anyway? and I guess a packet of safale is going to be hanging around waiting to be sold just as long as a kit, maybe longer.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:11 am

On some of the Yorkshire kits that I used, the instructions all said that I needed to rehydrate the yest. Rather than reprinting the instructions, they slapped a sticker on the yeast saying that there was no need to follow this process due to the improvements in yeast.

I think with the quality kits there should be no reason to use a different yeast since they will have provided you with a strain suitable for that beer. With the cheaper kits you will have a crappy yeast supplied that would probably benifit from being replaced. BUT, if you are buying a crap £5 kit, why would you want to spend £5 on a decent liquid yeast?

IMHO use the yeast supplied.

tribs

Post by tribs » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:27 pm

You may be correct in that it is not an issue anymore. Modern kits are of a much better quality than back in the day.

Having said that, with the kits you just have no idea what you are getting and yeast makes a big difference. I made the exact same extract recipe for a pale ale and fermented one with wyeast 1028 London Ale and the other with Danstar Nottingham. The 1028 version pi**es all over the Nottingham one and that is considered a good quality yeast.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:31 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Jun 14 2006, 05:29 PM) It would be nice to know what yeast is being supplied with a kit as well as it having a clearly marked best before date.
The problem with this is that they would then be giving you more information than is good for them.

If they tell you the type of yeast then it is going to be easier for you to clone their recipe. If you can clone their recipe why would you pay premium prices for a kit?

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 pm

I once bought a Brupaks lager kit, well inside sell-by date. The Saflager sachet was well past its sell -by date. (Brupaks sent me another)

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:48 am

QUOTE (johnmac @ Jun 14 2006, 11:42 PM) The Saflager sachet was well past its sell -by date. (Brupaks sent me another)
Did you still use the first one though? ;) :D :wall