Sticking Munton's (Woodfordes) Kits - Information and offer

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.

The question was 'If you have brewed a Muntons/Woodforde's kit, did it drop to the advertised final gravity'?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 259

Adam

Re: Sticking Munton's (Woodfordes) Kits - Information and offer

Post by Adam » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:53 pm

apologies if the question has been asked/answered elsewhere but my flatmate made a Woodefordes Wherry and it has come out quite lager-y/ish is this normal, i have the same kit and was expecting a beer taste rather than a lager one.

smiles
adam

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Adam wrote:my flatmate made a Woodefordes Wherry and it has come out quite lager-y/ish is this normal, i have the same kit and was expecting a beer taste rather than a lager one.
The wherry is a reasonably light ale, and quite hoppy too, so I can understand your confusion if you aren't used to pale ales. If you are looking for the traditional bitter-type beer that is darker, then the Wherry is probably not the right kit for you. Cue suggestions... :wink:

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:31 pm

thanks, i do like lighter ales (not that fussy as a drinker) maybe its how they have carbonated in the bottle, they come out very fizzy... mine will be kegged when i get around to brewing it so not too worried.

smiles
adam

faeyd

Post by faeyd » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:58 pm

I've never had a Woodeforde's stop above the expected FG. Usually ends up at 1010.

BetterThanTheRealThing

Post by BetterThanTheRealThing » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:17 pm

BetterThanTheRealThing wrote:My second brew is a Wherry and with a starting gravity of >1.040 (a few bubbles in there so hard to tell) it has now dropped to 1.014 after 9 days (perhaps even read at 1.013 as the temperature has dropped to 17c - http://www.18000feet.com/how/hydroreading.htm)

The airlock has been bubbling away constantly and I had no reason to think it had stuck (although I understand that itself does not indicate fermentation), but it is still going. The kit came from Wilkinsons and has a BBD of 30 sep 2010. I didn't add anything to the kit. I did not use campden tabs in the water.

I'll take another reading tomorrow to see if it drops any more. If not I'll transfer to my new KK.

The Wherry smells and looks great - unlike my first brew which was a Woodefords Nog that I messed up and tastes like pish.

Invaluable advice here on the forum though. Thanks to all the people who post.

BTTRT
Well I kegged the Wherry on Wednesday night. I was a little nervous as it was the first time I had used my KK. One of my fellow brewers came round last night and we poured 1/4 pint for a taster and it's really nice. I am well pleased. So pleased in fact that I have put another Wherry in the FV today.
Seriously considering purchasing another KK, although I think I will bottle this brew as it is far more convenient for taking round friend's houses. I may have to get another FV as well! And a trip to Wilko's for more kits!!! This is becoming addictive.

My only task now is to try and keep away from the KK for a couple of weeks :=P

Again, thanks to all for the great advice and invaluable tips.

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:46 pm

BetterThanTheRealThing wrote: My only task now is to try and keep away from the KK for a couple of weeks :=P
yep! thats the worst thing!
I tend to leave mine about 4 weeks for my taste.
the only way to combat this is to brew well in advance, maybe invest in some new FVs, so you wont have the urge to 'have a sample' :D

chopperswookie

Post by chopperswookie » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:00 am

i have just posted in another section so have a look (didn't spot this one till it was too late and didn't want to post the pic twice)

viewtopic.php?f=4&p=198858#p198858

so it looks like muntons have got there act together and sorted the problem out. btw i think the lowest i have ever got a wherry down to was 1012 but even the ones that stuck at 1020, once barrelled and left for about 6 weeks (a must i feel for wherry to clear and condition right) you have been an excellent brew.

confused

Post by confused » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:51 pm

Munton's are much my favourite kits, before switching to AG i brewed many of 'em. Conkerwood, Wherry, Admirals Reserve and Nelson's Revenge. I never had a problem with any of them reaching an acceptable FG, but I very rarley achieved the starting gravity that the ABV advertised on the box suggested I should, and as a result often the finished beer was 0.2 - 0.5% lower than expected, though this was not an issue to me as long as it tasted good.

Be careful especially with the Woodfordes kits, some make 40pts others only 36 and I think the headcracker is only 26 pints.

If you look at the Muntons website homebrew FAQ there are (or at least were) a couple of questions raised about slow ferments at 18-19c, muntons suggest that there kits are designed to ferment at 21c. I wonder if that could be part of the issue.

Jimjiber

Post by Jimjiber » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:21 pm

I started a Great Eastern Ale yesterday and will report back with my final gravity next week.

I think my starting gravity was 1.042, although I had aerated the wort properly, so it was difficult to read the hydrometer through all the bubbles!

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Jimjiber wrote:I started a Great Eastern Ale yesterday and will report back with my final gravity next week.

I think my starting gravity was 1.042, although I had aerated the wort properly, so it was difficult to read the hydrometer through all the bubbles!
yep, should go to 1010 no problem.
just done another 4.7% batch 22L @ 21C constant with safale04.
Cant wait!
Enjoy the ale once it's done- It's cracking - leave it at least 3 weeks though!
Oddly enough, Great Eastern seems to finish lower than Wherry according my old notes

If you see my previous posts on here I'm doing a few Wherry Experiments with a big batch with a friend.
So far we have not cracked 4.5%, even brewing at optimum conditions.
We have changed the volume right down to 20L, but still no result.
I have two left, my mate 3 I think.

Our latest experiment is with yeast supplied, one FV with the yeast rehydrated and the other not.
last I heard, the other -my mate who's not the 'net was 21L 1038 OG - I reckon that wont reach 1012!

our old notes from earlier this year are the same- 23L -OG 1050ish finish 1012ish - they where all 5.0%+.. and no 'stickers'
It's funny now how the OG is now 1040 at 21/20L, but finish well below 1020 the old sticking point?

so in the old old days, 1050 finishes at 1012 -38 points
now 1040 finishes at 1012ish - 28 points

It's not sticking, so where have the 10 points gone?

sussed- so the new 1010/12ish FG was always the old FG 1020 sticking point!
(if you know what I mean!)

- It tastes good, so no matter what the FG- will drink!

/stops rambling

Jimjiber

Post by Jimjiber » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:49 am

It seems as though I have got another sticker - I started this Great Eastern Ale five days ago and the gravity is now stuck around 1.016/1.018.

I used safale04 yeast and did everything properly (this is my third brew and I thought I had finally cracked it). I have a spare sachet of yeast - should I pitch this and see what happens, or will this impart an extra-yeasty flavour?

btw - my second brew, a Wherry, is now almost clear and despite not reaching the suggested FG it tastes great and gets me pleasantly drunk!

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Jimjiber wrote:It seems as though I have got another sticker - I started this Great Eastern Ale five days ago and the gravity is now stuck around 1.016/1.018.

I used safale04 yeast and did everything properly (this is my third brew and I thought I had finally cracked it). I have a spare sachet of yeast - should I pitch this and see what happens, or will this impart an extra-yeasty flavour?

btw - my second brew, a Wherry, is now almost clear and despite not reaching the suggested FG it tastes great and gets me pleasantly drunk!
Hello Jimjber

looking at some old, and in fact with my GE recent brew (with safale04), it takes 2 weeks to get GE down to 1010.
maybe worth keep the temp at 20C/21C too.
I had an old batch of GE earlier this year that got stuck, after rousing at 1016.
tricky SG area, as after 2 days 1016 constant I suppose I could have keg/bottled, but I did dry repitch both FVs with safale04 (only half a packet each FV), put the temp up to 22C and it dropped 5 points in 3 days.
I was happy with 1011!

As for wherry reaching its suggested FG, err.. dont get me started!
still a cracking drink, and better than the tinned/bottled ales you can buy from 'offy.

Jimjiber

Post by Jimjiber » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks Blinky.

When repitching, do you give the brew a gentle stir? I obviously don't want to get air into it...

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:39 pm

Jimjiber wrote:Thanks Blinky.

When repitching, do you give the brew a gentle stir? I obviously don't want to get air into it...
yes, a very gentle stir!

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Update from Muntons

I am a little disappointed that Muntons have not attempted to answer any of the questions on this thread or offer any advice or explanation. So, once again, I emailed a sales representative. Here it is:

Hello......

Further to our conversation and emails a few months back, I was curious to know if you had viewed the posts from customers on Jim's Beer Kit? There have been over 4200 viewings of this post and 61 customers have answered the poll question. Over half of these have found that the kits did not ferment below 1.020.

I have now moved back to brewing from grain, so I no longer have a real interest in kit brewing. However, I think it would be good for Muntons and your customers if there was an official reply on this thread, especially as there is a huge increase in the home brew market due to the economy.

I am sure that you or your colleagues have viewed this thread as I have sent the link. Just in case, here it is again: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14480

Regards,

Nick Moore.

Here is the reply:

Good morning Nick

Thank you for mail regarding the Woodfordes range of kits.

It was interesting to read that half of the people who replied to the survey had NOT experienced any problems with their brews, so it would suggest that some have other brewing issues. All the kits we have tested have fermented out at 1014.

Many brewers often modify the kit to suit their own taste, but if the instructions are followed carefully, they should not experience any problems.

Kind regards

So there you have it. Half of you (42% actually) are doing it right, the others who can not achieve a final gravity below 1.020 have
brewing issues
or you
modify the kit to suit their own taste

If you want to ensure that the kits drop to 1.014, then you should ensure that
the instructions are followed carefully, they should not experience any problems.

Simple really, why did I not think of that!!!

It is not my intention to try to catch anybody out. I had no intention of posting any further Muntons communications, however I was slightly offended by the reply and thought that it should be open for all to view.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing: