Sticking Munton's (Woodfordes) Kits - Information and offer

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.

The question was 'If you have brewed a Muntons/Woodforde's kit, did it drop to the advertised final gravity'?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 259

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Sticking Munton's (Woodfordes) Kits - Information and offer

Post by Ditch » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Now, that has just got to be The Most staggeringly arrogant way of saying; 'Look; Take it or leave it. We really couldn't give a f*ck What our customers Think of our shit. We're monopolising the market. Live with it!'.

Hey ho. Fine by me. Coopers it shall be.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Now, that has just got to be The Most staggeringly arrogant way of saying; 'Look; Take it or leave it. We really couldn't give a f*ck What our customers Think of our shit. We're monopolising the market. Live with it!'.
Right-on bruvva!!

But seriously Ditch, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I have replied to the email with my opinion and have requested again, that they respond to this thread. Don't hold your breath though.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

PeteH

Post by PeteH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:56 am

Thats a very poor response from Muntons. In fact that has put me off using there product even more than the fact that ther's a problem with fermentation! They seemed to try to put a spin on it and say that 50% (ish) satisfaction is good! How many small companies could continue trading if they only had 50% satisfaction from their customers?

Marts

Post by Marts » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Just to keep the information flowing my Woodfordes Nog Porter jammed at 1018. Wouldn't shift, no matter what I did.

BetterThanTheRealThing

Post by BetterThanTheRealThing » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Bottling Wherry #2 tonight after it got down to 1.014 after 8 days. Wherry #1 has had two weeks in the KK and is coming along nicely judging by a quick 1/4pint taster on Tuesday night. Even the Nog after 4 weeks conditioning has come good, even though the OG was too low due to too much water being added to the wort (n00b mistake).

Wherry #2 was from W*lkos again, with a BBD of 'End 30 sep 2010'.

I made the kit with no additions, to 23L and rehydrated the yeast before pitching. No Campden tablet used as I am still stuck with just the one FV. I must do something about that. . . . feel a trip to the HBS on Saturday is in order!

Jimjiber

Post by Jimjiber » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:25 am

My Great Eastern Ale has stopped at around 1014, which I guess is fine. Will keg it today!

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:49 pm

My experience has been with a Wherry as my first ever brew, which due to my Noobness and not having a clue at the time how to read a hydrometer :oops: I have no idea what the FG was. However, after a conditioning time of 4 weeks it was very good. I have a Golden Ale in the FV for bottling tonight that has just about got down to 1.014 which is the target, so I guess that's okay. It may be relevent that I didn't use the kit supplied yeast for the Golden Ale (or may not be!).

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Another update from Muntons

Last email from Muntons offering help and advice to anyone experiencing problems

Good morning Nick

I will be discussing the issues you have raised with Muntons technical department at our next meeting.

It would be inappropriate for me to comment further at this stage, but anyone from the forum would be welcome to contact me directly with any brewing problems.

Kind regards

Linda Arthrell

Homebrew Sales Executive

Muntons plc

m: +44 7717581223

e: linda.arthrell@muntons.com

w: http://www.muntons.com

A step in the right direction i think.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:03 am

Great work there Jubby =D> =D>

I have not brewed a kit for 18months or so, and to think this is still rearing its head is not good. Although at least Muntons are now responding to brewers, which is more than they where doing then :(
They are in one of the few sectors that could be growing in these straitened times, I hate to see them lunch it over bad PR and poor QC.

P2

PeteH

Post by PeteH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Good news, Cheers Jubby. Hope they come up with an answer, cos I'd rather not stop brewing Woodfordes kits, I've not tried em all yet, and so far they all taste good.

keithm

Post by keithm » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:59 pm

I bottled Wherry (OG 1042 - FG 1012- 4.1%ABV) at 20C for 8 days - It slowed right down at the end dropping from 1014 to 1012 in 3 days - I was anxious about it having read the "stuck" stories - but this one seems to have gone OK - I am now waiting to try this brew - All I've read is that it is outstanding - Having taken up brewing again after 10 years I was concerned about the brew being above 1010 - having always thought bottling above that was asking for bottle-bangs! But perhaps the slightly high FG comes from unfermentable sugars etc that actually give the outstanding flavour, which I wait to try! BTW I still had 10 year old Lager in the bottles - it was palatable!

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Nice one Chris, you just about summed it all up there.

Very well written =D> Let's hope you get a response.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Great letter Chris =D> =D>

Muntons are at least making some effort to communicate with email now.

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:02 pm

Chris- you deserve a medal!
keep us all posted!

I did think of badgering, but wind, and pissing in < came to mind.

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Well, I had thought the Woodeforde's issues had been fixed, but the Wherry I'm fermenting now has proved this not to be the case.

It stopped at 1022 a few days ago. After rousing the sediment, it has now come down to around 1015, which I'm happy to bottle at, but it all makes for pretty anxious brewing... :|

BBE was Dec. 2009.