Dried extract

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
soupdragon
Under the Table

Dried extract

Post by soupdragon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi all

New chap here, returning to the gentle art after a gap of far too many years :(
1st brew on is a Wherry (didn't stick either) can't wait to try it, next one planned when I get my 2nd barrel will be the infamous Coopers stout =P~
Now to my question...... Has anyone heard of a company called PureMalt Products? I was given some in plain packs that had come from 25kg sacks. I have some roasted and some light (might be medium tho). I know for a fact that it is food grade and I'm tempted to use this in my coopers but not having used it before or even heard of the company I don't want to spoil it...... The extract seems to be sound with no lumps or signs of damp.
Any info that anyone might have that would ease my fears would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance Tom

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: Dried extract

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Some dried malt extracts are made for the baking trade and, I believe, are higher in protein than is desirable for a beer malt. It might be OK to use but be prepared for hazy beer. I'd boil it for 10-15 minutes too to pasteurise it.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply :)
The spray malt I've got is used in food flavours and is used as is without any further processing. It's just added as one more dry ingredient to the powder blend. I think it's for for snack flavours if that's any help?

Thanks again :)

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:03 pm

If the spraymalt you've got is the normal Muntons sold by HBSs then it's made from 2-row barley varieties specifically grown for brewing.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Not sure of it's genuine origins but I was told that the plastic sack it came from had Puremalt printed on it. Had a google for them and it seems they supply the brewing trade , based in Scotland somewhere :D