Cooper stout kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Cooper stout kit

Post by Ditch » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:24 am

:shock:

sargie

Post by sargie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:21 am

Ditch wrote::shock:
Ditch which stout is it that you do?

Coopers stout

Coopers irish stout?

Or have you done both if so is there any difference?

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Sargie; I do " Coopers Stout ". That which has become referred to as " Ditch's Stout " around here is ~ or correctly should be ~ simply Coopers Stout, made up with 1Kg of medium dry malt. That's what I do, as a rule.

" Coopers Irish Stout " is said to be their Rolls Royce presentation. I'm harbouring a tin of that one, kindly supplied direct from Coopers. I'd been planning to brew a range of Coopers stuff and hold an end of Harvest celebration (Piss up!) for my friends and neighbours.

Trouble is; It's pissed Down on Co. Leitrim for 99% of the year! Result is that they snatched what hay they could last week. We had maybe four days of sunshine. Flash! It was all over. And no one here much feels like celebrating the worst year in living memory! :(

I've been having a ton of work done around here too. This has put a sabbatical on my own brewing. Maybe now I can have a Grand Cottage Viewing ~ and piss up, once the dust settles and the paint dries around here?

I feel the entire neighbourhood could use a lift. It's been a vile year for most, one way or another.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Ditch, why medium spray malt mate?

I made mine with dark as they only had light and dark. I didn't think to use one light one dark at the time!

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:39 am

Why Medium? Because it seemed the middle of the road choice. I believe " Chris - X1 " also responded to my own initial query, advising Medium, probably for much the same reasoning. From there, see, we can decide if we want it darker or lighter.

But, no. I used medium. Tasted the result. That's all she wrote!

sargie

Post by sargie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

Ditch wrote:Sargie; I do " Coopers Stout ". That which has become referred to as " Ditch's Stout " around here is ~ or correctly should be ~ simply Coopers Stout, made up with 1Kg of medium dry malt. That's what I do, as a rule.

" Coopers Irish Stout " is said to be their Rolls Royce presentation. I'm harbouring a tin of that one, kindly supplied direct from Coopers. I'd been planning to brew a range of Coopers stuff and hold an end of Harvest celebration (Piss up!) for my friends and neighbours.

Trouble is; It's pissed Down on Co. Leitrim for 99% of the year! Result is that they snatched what hay they could last week. We had maybe four days of sunshine. Flash! It was all over. And no one here much feels like celebrating the worst year in living memory! :(

I've been having a ton of work done around here too. This has put a sabbatical on my own brewing. Maybe now I can have a Grand Cottage Viewing ~ and piss up, once the dust settles and the paint dries around here?

I feel the entire neighbourhood could use a lift. It's been a vile year for most, one way or another.
Thanks for the reply ditch and sorry to hear about the troubles were you are.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Fingers crossed.......
I've finally lit the blue touch paper that is a Coopers Stout. Made it up with the prescribed 1kg of medium dried malt but to 20 litres to hopefully avoid an earbashing from the missus if the inevitable happens :wall
1st brew (wherry) is going down ok even tho it's still rather young at less than a month in the barrel. Just starting to lose the haze in the 1 bottle that I filled at the same time but the stuff in bulk still looks like mud :unsure:
Anyone got any views on Edme's superbrew gold bitter? Looking for a bitter to do after the wherry has been supped, something along the lines of Bombardier would be great if it exists? [-o<
Time for a topup I think....................... :beer: Tom

sargie

Post by sargie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:03 pm

soupdragon wrote:Fingers crossed.......
I've finally lit the blue touch paper that is a Coopers Stout. Made it up with the prescribed 1kg of medium dried malt but to 20 litres to hopefully avoid an earbashing from the missus if the inevitable happens :wall
1st brew (wherry) is going down ok even tho it's still rather young at less than a month in the barrel. Just starting to lose the haze in the 1 bottle that I filled at the same time but the stuff in bulk still looks like mud :unsure:
Anyone got any views on Edme's superbrew gold bitter? Looking for a bitter to do after the wherry has been supped, something along the lines of Bombardier would be great if it exists? [-o<
Time for a topup I think....................... :beer: Tom
Coopers english bitter is supposed to be really good ive got a kit waiting to go in the fv.

dunc
Piss Artist

Post by dunc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:59 am

I did a edme superbrew bitter a few months ago with BKE and medium spraymalt, and a Goldings teabag, it was a decent pint but not fabulous. Its not in the same class as the Wherry anyway - I'm planning a Nelson's Revenge which from the commercial description is in a Bombardier style.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: Headcracker, Brewmaker Northumberland Brown, Brewmaker Export Bitter
Drinking: Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Dark Ale, Hambleton Bard Amber Export, Coopers Aussie Pale Ale, Almondbury Old, Coopers Stout, Wherry w/Chinook
Planning: BOTW 80/-

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Might see how much the wherry improves with age and try the nelsons then :)
I'd be happier if the woodfordes wern't so hazy tho. I gather the other 2 can kits that muntons do don't suffer so I wonder if any of those are like bombardier? Just how many different "brands" of muntons are there? :?
The yeast in the coopers stout has not long kicked in so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it behaves now the temp is down to 18. If it really is as good as everyone says then I'd be daft not to give their other brews a go, most likely with spray malt rather than sugar again.
Decisions, decisions............. I'll have to pour another wherry and have a think :beer: