Cooper stout kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
tubthumper

Cooper stout kit

Post by tubthumper » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm

I have just purchaced a coopers stout kit and was wondering if it would be better to follow the instructions that come with the kit or as one book suggests( cant seem to find which one it was) ignore it and boil the whole wort aithout adding the cold water.
also is the yeast the best one or would i be better substiting it for something else?
I have never been impressed with kits but have heard such good things about coopers stout I figured I would give it a try

soupdragon
Under the Table

Re: Cooper stout kit

Post by soupdragon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:58 pm

tubthumper wrote:I have just purchaced a coopers stout kit and was wondering if it would be better to follow the instructions that come with the kit or as one book suggests( cant seem to find which one it was) ignore it and boil the whole wort aithout adding the cold water.
also is the yeast the best one or would i be better substiting it for something else?
I have never been impressed with kits but have heard such good things about coopers stout I figured I would give it a try
Hi there

Judging by all the glowing reports for Ditch's stout it would seem to be a no brainer to do the Coopers as he does. I'll stand corrected if i'm wrong but I'm sure it's just a substitution of the kilo of sugar for a kilo of dried malt extract. I've read somewhere that the yeast that comes with the Coopers is actually Safale-04. One of the best ones you can use :)
Can't comment on the results myself but it's next on my list to do (as soon as I get my 2nd barrel). As regards boiling, I don't think most people bother and just make it up with some boiling water in the fv. That's what I intend doing anyway :D

Tom

AlexCricket

Post by AlexCricket » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:01 pm

I think you'l find the yeast is just fine :lol:

Make it according to the instructions BUT the only variation recommended is substitute 1kg of Med Spraymalt for the sugar.

I suspect the Master Ditch will be along soon ...

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:37 pm

Forgot to mention I also got a 1Kg bad of muntons beer kit enhancer at the same time, should I use that or just wait to use it on something else

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Go with the advice from alex. Substitute medium spray malt, gram for gram with the sugar (1KG). Stick with the kit yeast and report to Ditch's office after school :lol: :lol:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

slayerking

Post by slayerking » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:45 pm

I concur with the 1kg of Medium, it turns into a very nice stout.
The coopers yeast is actually a great yeast. I believe its coopers own strain. Nice clean yeast, fast fermenting, good attenuation, good at handling high temps, and it forms a nice clump at the bottom of the bottle that doesnt come out with the beer when drinking.

I found the stout quite nice after 1-2 weeks, but really really nice after 8-10 weeks, if it lasts, I've only 4 bottles left!! :cry:

johnston

Post by johnston » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:48 pm

What everyone else says..

and be prepared for a very nice pint!!!!
I found the stout quite nice after 1-2 weeks, but really really nice after 8-10 weeks, if it lasts, I've only 4 bottles left!! :cry:
I'm not that far away from you gotta get some ordered

shazza

Post by shazza » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:56 pm

yo TT.As a devotee of the Coopers Stout (about 25-30 brews so far) may I be so bold as to impart some advice?...Thank you.
1:Use the yeast supplied;it is bloody marvelous stuff.I can start a brew on Monday and be drinking it on Friday (in emergency).A word of caution; either use an oversized vessel (40+ litres) or start the wort made up to 15litres for first 2-3 days then top up to 23L.Alternatively ,put the vessel in a big plastic bag to catch the overflow.
2.Do not boil the concentrate.It will remove some of the precious hop oils and other esters.Just dip the can ends in a pot of boiling water prior to opening.It pays to clean and boil your can opener too.
3.I only use Beer Kit Enhancer and it does a grand job.Hint:Boil up a big pot of water and whisk in the BKE to dissolve it.Use this liquid to rinse out your can.
Enjoy!

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:47 pm

ok looks like i will get one of those plasters baths to put the FV in
now do you think the best FV would be the youngs one with the small opening with red lid and airlock
or bucket type with lid off when the kraeusen rises and then back on when it falls
basically open or closed fermantation

b.all

Post by b.all » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:15 pm

think i might give this a go as well though i may use dark spraymalt instead as i like my stouts really deep and heavy. anybody tried use dark liquid malt extract for it?

cbucket

Post by cbucket » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:20 pm

I made a Coopers Dark Ale with Dark Spray Malt and it smelt bloody delicious when I bottled it. I dont suppose it matters much whether you use Dark or Medium.

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:14 pm

shazza wrote:I can start a brew on Monday and be drinking it on Friday (in emergency).

Emergency, my foot! You're just Bad! :mrgreen:

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 pm

b.all wrote:think i might give this a go as well though i may use dark spraymalt instead as i like my stouts really deep and heavy. anybody tried use dark liquid malt extract for it?
I wouldn't bother with liquid malt, it's generally more expensive and IMHO the results are no better.

Make the kit up with 1Kg of dark spraymalt, or maybe a little more, and it will turn out superb... pleasingly heavy, and as black as a gorilla's goolies. 8)

b.all

Post by b.all » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:27 pm

sounds good,might go a little above the 1Kg mark then. think this will go in my 5 gallon barrel which has been empty too long.

Georgy

Post by Georgy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:06 pm

How does the end result of coopers stout compare to Guiness or Murphys?