Ditch's Stout?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Spring Heeled Jim

Ditch's Stout?

Post by Spring Heeled Jim » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 am

I've heard a lot about Ditch's Stout on here but try as I might (I spent hours yesterday) I can't find the original thread with the recipe on it.

Am I right in thinking its the white Coopers Stout 1.7kg kit with 1kg of DSM?

I'm thinking of doing this next, filling the FV initially to 15litres to avoid accidents, then topping up to 20 litres once fermenting has settled down.

Quick question but what difference would adding Medium Spraymalt make to this?

TheMumbler

Re: Ditch's Stout?

Post by TheMumbler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:49 am

I'm pretty sure the "official" Ditch's Stout recipe is Coopers Sout + 1kg medium spraymalt, however the general approach seems to be make sure you enjoy it :)
So if you prefer a darker beer use a darker malt, the important thing is switching the sugar for spraymalt.

sargie

Post by sargie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 am

medium spray malt is less bitter i think? I underfilled my fermenter by the way and it still found its way out under the lid so did my coopers english bitter i have on at the moment it's monstorus stuff lol.

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

I think the darker the spraymalt the stronger its taste. I'm not sure whether this is due to roasting the grains for longer or because a different grain (or blend of grains) is used . I would think that a dark spraymalt would be a bit more bitter but that wouldn't be the only taste difference. Dark spraymalt would be more normal for a mild or a stout while a medium would generally be used for bitters and pale for lagers but really it is all down to personal taste as I understand it. I'm fairly new to this too so I could be way off the mark here :)

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Yeppers. " Ditch's Stout ", as it somehow came to be referred to along the way, is really nothing more dramatic than good ol' Coopers Stout made with 1Kg of medium DSM in place of sugar. Really nothing more to it than that.

Of course, if ye wanted to absolutely, clinically reproduce what I drink ....? Ye wouldn't want to. Honestly. Because that'd mean using water from my own, rather dodgy, local supply scheme. Said water having passed along most decidedly dodgy, asbestos pipes! :shock:

So; All round my place for a pint then, eh? The gear I knock up's a Killer! :mrgreen:

sargie

Post by sargie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Ditch wrote:Yeppers. " Ditch's Stout ", as it somehow came to be referred to along the way, is really nothing more dramatic than good ol' Coopers Stout made with 1Kg of medium DSM in place of sugar. Really nothing more to it than that.

Of course, if ye wanted to absolutely, clinically reproduce what I drink ....? Ye wouldn't want to. Honestly. Because that'd mean using water from my own, rather dodgy, local supply scheme. Said water having passed along most decidedly dodgy, asbestos pipes! :shock:

So; All round my place for a pint then, eh? The gear I knock up's a Killer! :mrgreen:
Pmsl asbestos stout mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mogwyth

Post by Mogwyth » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:12 pm

Ditch wrote: Said water having passed along most decidedly dodgy, asbestos pipes! :shock:

Yeh we got them too, the water board surveyed to replace them 10 years ago but haven't got round to it. Ain't killed us yet.

I use 50:50 medium and dark in mine.

Cheers

Bill

Jerry Cornelius

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:03 pm

When I made my 'Ditch's Stout' I used dark spray malt (because I misunderstood what Ditch actually did!).

It was the best stout I have ever drunk. I don't like Guinness or Murphy's stout - I tried this because of the legendary status it has gathered here. I drank the whole lot apart from a few bottles I gave away to a mate and his wife. I can honestly say, I have consumed more Ditch's stout than any other stout in the world. And I will do it again - even though i have moved on to AG, I will make up one of these now and again.

Cheers Ditch. :flip:

beertrix

Post by beertrix » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:17 pm

iv just knocked a cooper stout up using 500g dsm and 500g glucose its what the bloke in the hop and grape suggested or at least thats what i think he said i had to be quick befor swmdo noticed i was missing

Gazzababbo

Post by Gazzababbo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:17 am

I started one of these and the shop put 1kg of EXTRA Dark Spraymalt in the bag. I didn't notice and just made it up. Hopefully the only thing Extra Dark SM will do is change the colour. (I'm going to call it 'KKG' - King Kong's Goolies - after a comment I saw on the forum.)

BTW, I'm not a stout drinker (only if there's nowt else on the go) and I have only ever had it in a pub once, Guinness when I was in Dublin about 10 years ago. Anyway I check the SG daily and after two days in the FV I had a sneaky nip to see what was going on (I assume everyone does this :oops:). It was remarkably like other stouts I have tasted initially but the after taste something else and tasted good. Very good in fact. That good that after 10 minutes I went and checked the SG again :twisted:

I mean, FFS, two days in the FV! What will this be like when it's been in the shed for 3 months?

Roll on Christmas!

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Gazzababbo; Welcome to the world of Coopers Stout! I think ye've really just summed it all up quite nicely there :mrgreen:

Mogwyth

Post by Mogwyth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:27 pm

3 months, try 6 and it tastes sublime. :D

Gazzababbo

Post by Gazzababbo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 pm

6 months, that's still the dream. I have a feeling once my Dad has a go at this batch it will be lucky to see the end of Boxing Day! :D

beertrix

Post by beertrix » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 pm

put mine in barrell today looks smells and tastes great already!!!!!! :D

KevP

Post by KevP » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm

I have been absent for a month or so as I get my wines ready for winter, but I am now back and an Imperial Stout for Christmas is in the pipelines, using Coppers Stout as my base, no time these days for extract and so whacking some kits on.