Beer clearing time

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Beer clearing time

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Why do homebrews take so long to clear?

At lunchtime I was chatting to the bloke who runs one of my local pubs.

The beers are delivered to him, he rolls them about in the cellar, then serves them completely clear 24-48 hours later.

In homebrew we talk about weeks rather than hours!

Guy

darrenwest1

Re: Beer clearing time

Post by darrenwest1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 pm

once they are put in to a barell they are already fully cleared so there is n othing in there to make it cloudy

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Real ale does have sediment in it, and ferments in the cask to produce more. That's what brings it up to condition.

The secret of the fast clearing is isinglass finings put in by the brewery. Rolling the casks distributes the finings, which then drop taking the yeast with them. :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:50 am

Jim wrote:Real ale does have sediment in it, and ferments in the cask to produce more. That's what brings it up to condition.

The secret of the fast clearing is isinglass finings put in by the brewery. Rolling the casks distributes the finings, which then drop taking the yeast with them. :wink:
When I bought my Woodforde's kit I asked the bloke in the shop if I needed to get some finings as well to clear it quickly, and he said "No, the company have done all that for you in the kit".

Do commercial brewers use better finings, or more of them, perhaps?

Guy

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:58 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Jim wrote:Real ale does have sediment in it, and ferments in the cask to produce more. That's what brings it up to condition.

When I bought my Woodforde's kit I asked the bloke in the shop if I needed to get some finings as well to clear it quickly, and he said "No, the company have done all that for you in the kit".

Do commercial brewers use better finings, or more of them, perhaps?

Guy
I believe that the bloke in the shop was talking rubbish.
Dan!

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:02 pm

So, should I go and get some finings, or should I just leave the beer until it clears?

If finings are a good idea, what sort should I get, please?

Guy

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:29 pm

guypettigrew wrote:So, should I go and get some finings, or should I just leave the beer until it clears?

If finings are a good idea, what sort should I get, please?

Guy
If you are kegging then finings are never a bad idea, if you are bottling then they are a bad idea. That said, time is the best finings. If you leave your beer to sit long enough then time will fine it and normally produce a nice compact layer of yeast.
Three weeks in the bottle and it's sorted.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Mine's in a barrel.

Perhaps I should just be patient!

The difficulty is, though, I don't want to start a second brew before at least tasting the first.

Guy

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:14 pm

guypettigrew wrote:Mine's in a barrel.

Perhaps I should just be patient!

The difficulty is, though, I don't want to start a second brew before at least tasting the first.

Guy
If it's in a barrel/keg then lash the finings in, any of them will do really, even a pack of gelatin from the supermarket. Just dissolve it in some warm beer then into the keg and stir it about a bit.

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:56 pm

It does vary from brew to brew, most brews clear within a few weeks of bottling but some takes many more weeks or never clear.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

At. Ailbhe's Brewery

Post by At. Ailbhe's Brewery » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm

I find the two can kits clear an awful lot slower than the others. I have a Fixby conditioning now and I'd say it'll take all of 6 - 9 weeks to fully clear, if at all.

Compare that with my Australian Pale Ale, which cleared in about a week.

Clearing doesn't bother me much since I prefer drinking it than looking through it.

ntc

Post by ntc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Being new to brewing I am reading up on as much as possible before I start so if this is a stupid question sorry, my thoughts where filtering the beer via a water filter when you fill your keg is this a possiblity?

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:27 pm

by filtering I think you would risk removing yeast and any sugars required for conditioning, meaning that you would end up with a completely flat pint.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Muntons kits are useless at clearing in my experience, especially Wherry but I do get the odd one which clears in a week..

leewink

Post by leewink » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:38 pm

I used to run pubs as licensee, I took my beer in, racked it (as in put on rack), left it for a week, then tapped and airred it, there is / was no way i'd serve inside of 24-48 hours of delivery, that for ANY beer, to me thats crazy, but each to their own, I will say that it is all in the taste as for how long you leave it, nuff said here me thinks :)

My locals werent even worried that there favourite beer was off pump for a few days when it happened, they knew what the wait meant :)

And of course, who had the first half straight from the tap ?

And chef commented on the 1664 after line cleaning :)

I have noticed with a previous batch, doing the whole lot to the stage of bottling in 10 days, that the beer dropped its settlements in a couple of weeks whilst finishing the carbonation process, then I just pour to the sediment.

If you fancy leaving it in the secondary for a fortnight to wait for the drop, that over just bottling it, do that, its all fun and to your taste.

Lee