Wherry Worry

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
maxashton

Post by maxashton » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:47 pm

There are all-malt kits that taste fantastic. There are even one can kits that taste fantasic, but it all comes down to technique.

DaaB has some great tips on his website: http://www.18000feet.com/how/H2HB2.htm

The first thing you need to do is not use sugar. Sugar will reduce the ammount of actual flavour in your beer. Buy dry malt extract instead. Boil the dry malt extract in a few litres of water for about ten minutes. Pitch that into your fv and add the can.

Top off to the required level with water, and stir like no man has ever stirred before.

Read DaaB's website!

brupaks

Post by brupaks » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Just as there are different qualities of beer kit, so there are with commercial beer. I think the very best beer kits already match many commercial beers in quality. However, to equal the very best commercial ones I think you will probably need to mash.

Inevitably the production process, particularly evaporation, degrades the malt extract to a small degree, although this has improved out of all recognition in recent years by evaporating under high vacuum. This enables evaporation to take place at temperatures as low as 55 degrees, thus preserving the integrity of the product. Spray-dried malt extract has the further advantage of only being evaporated to around 50% solids (the optimum for the spray drying process) as opposed to the 80% of syrup extracts. For this reason I decided to use spraymalt for the Brewers Choice range (which includes several lagers where a clean taste is vital). Another thing that sets Brewers Choice apart is the use of pre-isomerised hops. These hops do not require boiling to release the alpha acids and therefore retain their flavour and aroma. So, to finish, I think using a Brewers Choice with an extra kilo of spraymalt will get you closest to the best commercial beers.

By the way I love this forum. Let's hope it continues to grow.

Clive
Brupaks

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for the input Brupaks,interesting on the spraymalt option as i have never really used it(i tried one of these beer kit enhancers once ,but didnt really taste any difference in the beer...little more body if anything!!)

How does DME equate, gravity wise to LME per Kilo?

Russ

Post by Russ » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Thanks Brupaks

I purchased a Brewers Choice the other day (like the format and looking forward to giving it a go) I purchased a 1.5kg tin of your Malt extract to go in it, refering to the advice on the back of packet options list, quote.......

'Option 3 - Add 1.5kg of premium grade malt extract to produce a truly commercial quality beer with a fuller body and higher alcohol content. '

However you seem to be suggesting option 2 (1kg of dry malt extract) would produce a better beer? and it's also a cheaper option......

Can you confirm this please ?

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:02 pm

DaaB wrote:
Spray-dried malt extract has the further advantage of only being evaporated to around 50% solids (the optimum for the spray drying process) as opposed to the 80% of syrup extracts. For this reason I decided to use spraymalt for the Brewers Choice range (which includes several lagers where a clean taste is vital).
Definately opt 2 Russ...lme still gives great results though, I wouldnt hesitate in using it.
Cheers for that DaaB as I was uming and arhing over whether to get a few of the BC kits because on weight it would work out 3 for the weight of 2 LME kits.

RESULT :lol:

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Apart from buying in bulk ,the price for DME over LME per kilo is about 50% more,do any other extract brewers use this instead of tins of extract?

You seem to gain about 15-20% gravity points per kilo on the DME,but will it make a better brew?

Russ

Post by Russ » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:27 pm

OK if spraymalt is the best option for a quality brew I read the options list as misleading options 2 and 3 should be swapped........

Agree?

Chris The Fish

Post by Chris The Fish » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello all,

A bit of advice if i may, Im about to buy a simple kit to give brewing a go for the first time (well, the first was when i was about 19, disaster!).

The kit set up ive got my eye on comes with a Woodfordes Wherry kit, and from reading the huge thread, it simply mystifys me. All id like to know is that would it be better if i use a different yeast to the one provided? At the start of the thread it reads like a disaster zone of yeast use, is this the case?

Or have i got confused?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris The Fish

Post by Chris The Fish » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:33 pm

so if i do get the kit, i could then buy a different type of brew and use that?

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:37 pm

Chris The Fish wrote:so if i do get the kit, i could then buy a different type of brew and use that?
Any kit that you buy should give you the flexibility to brew anything you like :shock:
Would you like to tell us what you were thinking of buying :?:
It is possible we could give reccomendations that could save you time and money :D

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Chris I take it that the beginners kit you have in mind has a Wherry kit bundled with it. If so are you buying from a local shop or of the internet?
If of the internet could you post a link as we can look it over and maybe offer some alternative suggestions. :D

I think what Daab suggests is good, a Brupaks kit is reliable and produces a fine brew. Though the Wherry is great, it might be best to try it after a couple of other brews just to get you into the swing of things.

If you keep us informed through this process, you will have lots of people helping you though your first brew.

Chris The Fish

Post by Chris The Fish » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 pm

It was the Micro Brewery one, you brew the whole thing in a pressure keg, it has a float that allows you to pour from the top (apparently!).

As its my first brew it seemed like a simple enough process, and i can still get a seperate tub and use the pressure barrel to store the beer.

i may be talking jibberish tho, as im still unsure of the whole process anyhow. I am reading like mad mind, and i have got a few weeks til purchase day arrives.

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:22 am

For the £60 or so you were going to spend on the microbrewery, there are alternatives available which will give you much more flexibility and control :D
If you would like some suggestions just ask :wink:

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:27 am

I think there better ways to start yourself of Chris, if you look on many of the HBS websites there are starter kits that will provide you with the basic kit to start brewing both with and without a keg. And if your on a budget and you have a stash of reusable bottles (PET pop bottles, or sturdy glass bottles that arnt thin and flimsy) which you could re-home from a bottle bank you can be brewing for under £50 including your first beer kit.

jogger321

Post by jogger321 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:41 am

Hiya chris....some sound advise has been offered but whatever you do don't buy a cheap single tin beer kit that you have to add sugar to..(Unless the purpose is to just get drunk as cheap as possible and who cares about the quality etc)

The cheap kits are the reason "Home Brew" has an image problem going back to the early 80's...The reality is the decent two can kits are very good..

Welcome to the hobby