Car Tyre Valve in my pressure barrel

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Yeasty Rob

Re: Car Tyre Valve in my pressure barrel

Post by Yeasty Rob » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:19 am

Fitted tyre valves to my 5L minikegs.

Works a treat in those too.

art.b

Post by art.b » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 am

what a great idea, [-o<
were an inventive lot us brewers... :D

right wheres that grafenwalde rmini keg of mine... :wink:

Travis

Post by Travis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:12 pm

I very rarely use cylinder Co2 these days as when I transfer to the pressure barrel I monitor the natural rising pressure & keep it near the maximum for the barrel. I have 5 barrels, 4 maturing & one drinking. when I draw off & the pressure is getting low (4psi - ish) I to up with my very small compressor to near maximum again. I have been doing this for over 2 years & no problems.

Travis.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:14 pm

I like the idea of being able to read pressure of my plastic barrels, so I'm planning on fitting some tyre valves.

I thought an added benefit would be to be able to fill them with CO2 as I wouldn't want to add air to a brew.
The barrels currently have S30 valves in caps which I currently use for CO2 additions (They also act as pressure relief valves)
But I also have I have a cornie set up with large CO2 cylinder, for which CO2 is much cheaper.
I wondered whether it would be possible to fit a thumblock valve onto some gas-line to fill kegs via tyre valve?
Halfords Thumb Lock Tyre Valve

Has anyone tried this?

(If it worked it would be handy for kids bikes too!)

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Been thinking the very same jmc, I cant see why not.

Not got my big Co2 cylinder yet to try it

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:38 am

Although looking around this might be the job if you'e a CO2 set-up already

poo hed

Post by poo hed » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:09 am

Spud395 wrote:Although looking around this might be the job if you'e a CO2 set-up already
no, i think you will find that is american and americans never get the job done, they may however make a film about getting the job done which is both morally and scientifically incorrect (re: the enigma code)

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

What kind of shite are you talking?
Yeah it's an American site, but the part is a gas in post for a cornie keg.
If you have a gas set up already this will work and you wont be pumping air into your beer

MikeG
Piss Artist

Post by MikeG » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:10 am

Blackaddler wrote:Great idea.

Not only a quick and easy way to measure the pressure, but also any easy way to release pressure, rather than trying to unscrew the cap [which can become very tight].
I made a spanner for my King Keg.

Mike.

MikeG
Piss Artist

Post by MikeG » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:47 am

I think boingy has two good points:
boingy wrote:Actually, I think the tyre valve idea is not so good either. It's neither food grade nor sanitary. As for injecting air into the barrel, well, maybe he's just been lucky or maybe he just can't taste oxidisation...
...also, apart from liking dials, switches, lights and shiny things, it seems to me that you can rely on the safety release valve for over pressure and low pressure is quite easily detected - the beer doesn't come out so quickly - so squirt in some CO2 'til it does..

Mike.

Travis

Post by Travis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 pm

& the world is flat (you can never rely on a safety valve that's why in industry they are tested regulary)

poo hed

Post by poo hed » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:59 pm

MikeG wrote: I made a Paddle for the bedroom.

Mike.
*Fixed

alethos

Post by alethos » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:28 am

This is a good practical idea for those who want to checkthe pressure and I have a tyre gauge so I may give it a try.
However i'm not going to pump air into my barrel because a jet of air squirted into a barrel will start to mix the gases.
Also the kinetic molecular theory says that the molecules are incredibly small with respect to the distance between them
:the molecules carry no charge so they cannot repel or attract
:the molecules are also in constant straight line motion in random directions colliding with each other and the walls of the container
random,this gives pressure.
All of the above means that the gases will quite rapidly diffuse (mix completely), there is nothing to stop them.

Travis

Post by Travis » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:55 am

Wake me up when its over. No one said anything about a "jet" of air! read my original script.

alethos

Post by alethos » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:49 am

To get any air in at all you have to exceed the pressure in the barrel and you are pumping it in through a small hole in the schrader valve so you will get at least a flow of air.
But it is the second part of the answer that is important. Because of the kinetic energy of the molecules the gases will mix. This page has a simulation http://www.chm.davidson.edu/vce/Kinetic ... usion.html