Coopers Imperial Stout

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Coopers Imperial Stout

Post by Ditch » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:26 am

Joe: Just Stop It. Please. Stop making me think 8)

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 pm

OK. I've got the Lager kit, I've got the Dark Ale kit, I've got the Dextrose, I just need the stout kit and I'm away.

Is there any way to avoid the massively volcanic fermentation? (Love beer, hate cleaning)
Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:25 am

Good man!

Volcanic is par for the course with coopers stout and this one especially. Just depends if you want to try to contain it or let it blow in full glory. You could buy or make a krausen collar or start it off in a bigger FV (i used a 7 gallon to start it off in, before transferring to the normal 5 gallon FV, and it still escaped, I blasted it with the shower).

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 am

Go for it Ditch, it makes sense

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 am

Yeah. But; It also makes 3/5 of my monthly beer budget! :shock:

And, frankly? The next bales of hay? I have to pay for ..... :|

poo hed

Post by poo hed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:10 am

Ditch wrote:Yeah. But; It also makes 3/5 of my monthly beer budget!
wouldn't you only have to drink 1/3 as much to get to the same level of pissed though?

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:46 am

OMG A TRUE MUTANT STOUT!!... perhaps a real challenge to the sorcerer of stout the mighty Ditch... would love to make this but worried about scaring the dog and lifting the lino.. AG brewers eat your own livers this came from a kit(or three)!! BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID
Just like trying new ideas!

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 pm

I couldn't resist the temptation. I've gone out and got all of the kits I need to make this, I just need to wait til the Euro Lager in my garage has finished fermenting, and this will be on its way.
I've gone out and got a tank adapter from B&Q. Need to cut a bigger hole in the top of the FV where the gromet for the airlock would usually go. With the tank adapter I can use my siphon tube as a blow off into a tub of water now. Hopefully it won't explode all over my garage!
I'm scared.

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:08 pm

How wide is the siphon tube? Be sure to get a picture of it once it gets going, I'm sure the siphon tube will cope just fine :wink: . I say let the bugger blow, it's not for containing.

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Ah well, the stocks have just been depleted by one more, and i've no idea how many are left but it can't be many. It's been nearly a year since I first put this brew on and I can honestly say it's been the most rewarding brew i've made. It just tastes fantastic. I'd happily choose this over anything i'd buy in the shops. As I thought, coopers stout's rough russian cousin come to give you a huge bear hug of a greeting. I previously thought I should've bottled in smaller bottles, but sod it, I think 500ml bottles were just right. And speaking as a lightweight i'd be interested to see the effects of two of those bottles. Well, as the room currently spins in it's roasty imperial haze i'm resolved that come payday next friday i'll be buying the stuff to put another one on. And this time i'll be taking pictures of it in full glory of the blow. Of course anyone making this brew and finding it not be to yer liking, i'll take no responsibility, all I can confirm is that it certainly hits my tastebuds just
right.

Oh, don't try making a cuppa tea after one of these.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm

:shock: Hark at him; One bottle of that stuff and he's away!

'Mind you, having recently had my entire perception of life radically altered by a small bottle of AG 'RIS', made by " Aleman ", I can quite see it! :mrgreen:

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Right, it's on.

OG 1089. Blow off tube in place. Sealed in a big cardboard box in the garage. Ditch, if this doesn't grow legs and run away onto the floor in there, I'll gladly send you a bottle.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:18 pm

:shock: Ye doing it?!? Faarkk!

Jesus. Listen; I'm too totally shattered to even make nonsense, tonight. Seriously. I've just had my Jameson ration, on an empty stomach, because I'm too knackered to cook my unappealing sausage and chips. F**k. I'm rambling! Maybe I should just drink some more whiskey and go to bed? Another full day of Agricultural Labour awaits me :(

Just let us know how it goes. I have six Coopers Stout kits out there, right now. (Thanks, Shane!) That's to be my next months supply. But, still the basics for " Ditch's Stout ", see? I'm finding it Extremely hard to break away from what does me good. Hard to f**king afford any flights of fancy too!

I'm always 'all ears' though, about these things. Why I'm in here now, I s'pose :wink:

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:23 pm

AceMcAce wrote:Right, it's on.

OG 1089. Blow off tube in place. Sealed in a big cardboard box in the garage. Ditch, if this doesn't grow legs and run away onto the floor in there, I'll gladly send you a bottle.
Well done Matey!

I trust that you will be wearing one of these over the next few days.............

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/dppfj1ua.html
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:31 pm

:roll: F**k that, Monks. All he'll be needing is a pair of gum boots, surely? (Maybe a stab vest, for when the wife gets home though? :mrgreen: )