Coopers Sparkling Ale

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Coopers Sparkling Ale

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi, I've just been reading about the Coopers Sparkling Ale kit. It looks interesting, and quite expensive if you use all of the fermentables that Coopers suggest!

Just wondered whether anybody on here has tried this kit?
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Coopers Sparkling Ale

Post by Beer O'Clock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Many, many times. My advice, for what it's worth, go with the stated fermentables. Ferment as close to 18-20 deg as possible. It should finish at about 5.6-5.9 depending on temperature. When serving, don't worry about cloudiness as it's supposed to be cloudy.

It's a cracking drink.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Timo

Post by Timo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:24 pm

I have this on at the minute and its not bad, I did it with just a tin of the coopers malt and not the spray malt but next time if I did it I would add both. Mine was cloudy for ages and I was drinking it cloudy but been off it for 2-3 weeks and its crystal clear now and the barrel is now starting to get every empty :( humm funny that :mrgreen:

Paddy Bubbles
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Tis a cracker, but it needs at least 3 months bottle conditioning, despite what some people say. I dry hopped mine, but I wish I'd hopped it some more. Go for it.

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, it's a great kit and benefits from adding all the recommended fermentables, or substitute an extra 1kg of light spraymalt for the liquid malt... that's 1.5kg in total, plus the dextrose. Also benefits from additional hopping, Saaz always worked well for me.

I done this kit many times and I can't say I remember any particular issues with cloudiness, but as stated above it does need a long conditioning period to reach it's best.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Got it in a FV at the moment, it's been in a week. Did the full fermentables list, 1.5kg liquid light malt extract, 500g dry malt extract, 300g of dextrose. OG came out pretty high, one thousand and sixty something, I think, so I can only assume it won't ferment down to 1010, or it wll be rocket fuel! Lol. Going to bottle it and leave it hidden away for 3 months, but if it comes out great I'll do it again, but re-culture the yeast from some Coopers Sparkling Ale bottles using the method in the sticky on there beer brewing forum

GazOC

Post by GazOC » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I did it last year with 1.5kg light spraymalt and 300g dextrose and made up to 26 litres rather than 23 to try and reduce the alcohol content a little. It took a loong time to clear but once it had it was a superb pint.

Started at 1050 and ended at 1009 for 5.4% ABV

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Wow, cheers for all of the posts, looks like this kit is firmly on the 'to do' list.

Unfortunately I can't start this kit until I've finished the Smugglers thats conditioning away in my KK :)
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

irc

Post by irc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 am

It's a nice pint. I've made 3 or 4 batches as it's my wife's favourite. Just made exactly as specced. I've tried various Cooper's kits - Australian Pale Ale, Draught Lager, IPA, European Lager, Pils Lager. The IPA and the Sparkling are the ones I make regularly. The Draught Ale seems good too but my first try is only about 3 weeks in the bottle, too early to be sure. I just tried one bottle to see how the fizz was.

The Sparkling seem to keep improving for a couple of months anyway.

Paddy Bubbles

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Quite a kick in it, too! (if made to recipe)

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

I would recommend a good 6 months for it to be at it's best. This is unlikely to be achieved as it tastes very good after 3.

I do have to re-itereate though, it should be served cloudy. It does not give it's best if bright. Proper Sparkling is best served cold and cloudy. Roll the bottle or swirl before pouring the last 2cm from the bottle. No different from the traditional way of serving a Hefe Weizen.

It's an Aussie icon.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Shaun21

Post by Shaun21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm thinking about making this for my Uni graduation as the parents are coming up for it and I want to show off my new brewing skills. The graduation is on the 12th of July, will this be enough time for it to start tasting great? All the other kits I've tried making have just been 'ok', so this time I really want to make something good.

Paddy Bubbles

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Shaun21 wrote:I'm thinking about making this for my Uni graduation as the parents are coming up for it and I want to show off my new brewing skills. The graduation is on the 12th of July, will this be enough time for it to start tasting great? All the other kits I've tried making have just been 'ok', so this time I really want to make something good.
I'd say try something else. You might be pushing it time-wise, given that the Sparkling Ale needs at least 3 months in the bottle. I'd recommend the Coopers Pale Ale, done with some American flavour/aroma hops like Cascade or Citra. It's the best kit I've done so far. In fact, I've just ordered 2 new APA kits!

Paddy Bubbles

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Beer O'Clock wrote:I would recommend a good 6 months for it to be at it's best. This is unlikely to be achieved as it tastes very good after 3.

I do have to re-itereate though, it should be served cloudy. It does not give it's best if bright. Proper Sparkling is best served cold and cloudy. Roll the bottle or swirl before pouring the last 2cm from the bottle. No different from the traditional way of serving a Hefe Weizen.

It's an Aussie icon.
I really like the commercial Sparkling Ale but I think I prefer the homebrewed version! It has shades of the commercial version, but it doesn't have the same yeast "bite" of the commercial bottle. I like a bit of yeast bite but it tends to get a bit heavy as you near the end of the glass/bottle.

I'd agree 100% that the Sparkling Ale, whether homebrewed or commercial, should be served chilled. Otherwise it gets too cloying.

Shaun21

Post by Shaun21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Nice one, I'm just fermenting the 'ditch's stout' and I have high hopes for that but I don't think a stout is what should be drank at a graduation haha. I think I'll look into that one then. Have you ever brewed the coopers draught or the lager one?