Plastic v glass

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
john_drummer

Re: Plastic v glass

Post by john_drummer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 am

i wouldn't really call that a "false economy" :? , i have a jug to decant into, but don't tend to use it, first pint clear, second pond water, swill bottle around and gulp down sediment, no bother.

big bottles ftw
well if you're happy drinking pond water I guess that's fine ;-)

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Sure its been said before, but the cheapest solution of all is to ask your local publican nicely for his bulmers/magners/NBA glass bottle empties :) For them, they're a waste issue that they dont have to dispose of if they give them to you. I drop the landlord a few homebrews as well every so often to sweeten the deal :)

I collect from my local about twice a week and get about 30-50 bottles at a time. I then have the choice of storing them, wash/sterilise/use or if I have time, giving them a soap wash and passing them onto other home brewers I know (i've also sold them in x12 lots on Ebay to fund a few kits :wink: )

And should I ever find myself too swamped...a trip to the glass bank would solve the problem

Glass is the way to go - although I keep a few PETs ready in case

Secue

Post by Secue » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I might try glass in the future, but pet for now...don't want any exploding bottles whilst I increase my knowledge of brewing.

millemg

Post by millemg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Utter bollox, pets are fine, its the future....

pohawk

Post by pohawk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 am

been using coopers pet bottles for my summer brews for a while now , easier to chill in beer fridge had some bottles of wherry +almonbury old for over 6 months old absolutly georgous pints no off flavours what so ever :D i find them easier to transport and less of a worry about bottle bombs . always pour them into glass anyway happy days

cellone

Post by cellone » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 am

millemg wrote:Utter bollox, pets are fine, its the future....
Glass.

Secue

Post by Secue » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm

lol, well..i'm a plastic bottler myself, but in a straight out fight..I think those with glass bottles would have the advantage :(

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Secue wrote:lol, well..i'm a plastic bottler myself, but in a straight out fight..I think those with glass bottles would have the advantage :(
A glass bottle would hurt :(

cellone

Post by cellone » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

The Glass Boys wouldn't let it kick off anywhere near thier collection's. The fact you Plastic Bottler's will resort to using them as a weapon is disheartening. Have to hold the disposable culture we live in responsible I guess, sad times.

Tramorak
Piss Artist

Post by Tramorak » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I love Glass Bottles. I don't Keg at all as my intake is not sufficient to justify it. Plus I like a Commercial brew occasionally.

I have however use PET bottles and noticed no issues over a year along the line.

Just my 2c

T.

neillf

Post by neillf » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 am

Pets are a good option if you want to build up a beer stash, they're easily accessible, just buy a softdrink and keep the bottle. Here in the Netherlands we pay a deposit on any drinks bottle, glass or pet so i went my prefered route and collected (and drank) like 50 grolsh swing top glass 450ml bottles. I just couldn't face drinking beer from a plastic bottle. I also get a lot of satisfaction from that pop when you spring the lid! On the otherhand I also use a plastic pressure barrel and honestly don't have a problem pouring a pint from this. Cheers.

math

Post by math » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 am

I've noticed a few references to plastic bottles causing oxidization by "letting air in". Just wanted to point out that that's impossible if your beer is primed, because the pressure inside the bottle is higher than the pressure outside.

If they are porous then they might loose some pressure over time, but the pressure would have to be equal to that outside before any transfer of air in to the bottle. Right?

Secue

Post by Secue » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 pm

I think your making alot of sense there math...let air in...pffft. :D

Cully
Even further under the Table
Location: with the powers of light and dark... I.e. Newcastle

Post by Cully » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 am

Bit of Thread necromancy here. How many times is it safe to use the gasketed tops that come free with Coopers 500ml PET bottles? I have seen someone on this thread mention twice, but is there a generally accepted limit?
Nothing's forgotten, nothings EVER forgotten...

cellone

Post by cellone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 pm

When I used the coopers bottles I found the bottles started to go around the body but the necks and caps were fine. I also used coca cola tops when lost a few caps.