Ambroix brewferm

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
bob3000

Ambroix brewferm

Post by bob3000 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Has anyone any experience of this kit? i made it 3 weeks ago and it has a really weird bitterness to it. Quite overpowering. Maybe it will age out but so far i'm not keen.

hommebru

Re: Ambroix brewferm

Post by hommebru » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 pm

leave it for 12 weeks at least before getting amongst it really. i tried the abbey kit the other day after 8 weeks conditioning and it had come a long way since the 2 week mark and tasted like it had the potential to be something quite nice after 12. patience is the key for brewferm kits.
i haven't tried this kit yet though so perhaps someone else who has could weigh in from experience.

HantsBrewer

Post by HantsBrewer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Hommebru is correct.

The longer you leave brewferm kits to condition the better.

I've just unearthed some bottles of 'Old Brown' which I brewed about 18 months ago. Shortly after bottling I wasn't impressed, but a year and a half later I have to say the brew is pretty damn good. In fact it's as good as a lot of shop-bought belgian style beers (if not better).
I've also had similar results with their 'Belgian Triple' and 'Grand Cru' kits.
Patience will be rewarded.

I suggest you get some cheap 40 pint kits to tide you over for the next year or so, before coming back to sample the Ambiorix :)

I actually bottled some Ambiorix about a month ago, so perhaps we could compare notes, this time next year?

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Ok, I'll stash it away and see what happens. This kit was supposed to be a stop gap between AG batches, looks like i got the wrong kit.

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:51 pm

There is a very acidic taste to this brew which is how it is described onthe site which I purchased it from
I bottled mine on the 2nd of Jan this year. It was made with 700g of candi sugar and a jar of H & B malt extract. It has mellowed since my first taste and hopefully will continue to do so.
I quite like bitter tastes though. I am brewing a Brewfirm Christmas ale kit now to allow to mellow before xmas and have an old bruin to put on soon too.

Give it a while longer it should mellow somewhat.

markle

Post by markle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 am

I've got this one on the go atm its been 4days and is showing signs that it is nearly finished fermenting would it be an issue if it didn't last the 10 days it says it should take?there's noway it is more than 25deg where it's stored!

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi!

I did this kit a long time ago and I left it for about 6 months and it was delicicous - probably the best kit I did...

My other fav was Coopers APA - nice simple pale ale that is good drinking in 3-4 weeks!

Good luck

Guy

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:49 pm

i think it is the mix of sweet, sour and bitter that puts me off, but i just had a bottle of lindemans Faro and it has made a bit more sense. I'm pretty sure that this is the style the Ambriox kit is based on. Same weird mix of bitter, sweet sour.

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 pm

markle wrote:I've got this one on the go atm its been 4days and is showing signs that it is nearly finished fermenting would it be an issue if it didn't last the 10 days it says it should take?there's noway it is more than 25deg where it's stored!
Sounds perfectly normal to me. After 4 days the head should start to fall back.

markle

Post by markle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Cheers bob3000 i ended up leaving it for the 10days anyway just took reading and its aprox 1.008 so going to bottle tomorrow :) now can anyone recommend how much sugar to prime with?

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 am

There is a priming guide in the instructions. Personally I'm going to prime to as many volumes of CO2 that i think i can get away with, maybe about 3. I use tastybrews priming calculator.

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:49 am

markle wrote:Cheers bob3000 i ended up leaving it for the 10days anyway just took reading and its aprox 1.008 so going to bottle tomorrow :) now can anyone recommend how much sugar to prime with?
I left mine 3 weeks in the primary, no need to rush into bottling. A good amount of time in the fermenter is good for the beer.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:55 am

Better to secondary it off the trub if you're leaving it to sit for a while tho :)

IMO, buying and using a secondary if the first of the "quantum leaps" you'll make at the start of your brewing career - I didnt see the point at the start but the difference it made in the quality of the brews (sooooo much less bottle sediment) and the ease of batch priming etc you really wont go back !
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

markle

Post by markle » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:12 am

Ok guys thanks for the advice I'll leave it a few more days...I get to excited and want to bottle haha also, pinto you saying to to put it in another fv for a few days then prime the lot in that?shall I put 80-90g of sugar into it?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:52 am

Indeed :)

Meet ol' Secondary No1 :) Standard Youngs 25l modified with a lil' Bottler and tap - I rack my primary in when fermentation has ended in the primary and leave it for 2~4 days for any transferred sediment to settle and to be sure fermentation is over - its a simple task to then add the 80-100g of priming sugar into the mix ( I dissolve mine in boiled water and syphon it into the main body, then a quick, gentle stir with the brew paddle and leave for an hour to settle again)

Bottle at will :) (and the little bottler is a real boon ! beats assing around with a syphon tube and tap 40 odd times...)

I now have 2 secondarys the same now after my bargain purchase the other day :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here