Fermentation too cool?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
andypdq

Fermentation too cool?

Post by andypdq » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Hello folks, This is my first post, and my first homebrew for about twenty years, so I am more than a little rusty!.
I started a Better Brew Czech pilsner kit four weeks ago, og was 1.040, two weeks ago it was 1.016, it is now 1.014, fg shoul be 1.008 or below. I used 1kg beer enhancer rather than dextrose. Temperature is 17c at the moment, but it has been cooler than that. Recomended ferment temp is 20 to25c. Hydrometer calibration, 1.00 in water, is OK. The airlock is doing about 1 glug every 20 mins. It was quite vigorous at start of fermentation but is really slow now.
I know I should have followed the instructions, but am now getting worried. It smells and tastes ok, so any advice as to how to proceed now, re heating it up, pitching fresh yeast etc
would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation. Andy.

Spadds

Re: Fermentation too cool?

Post by Spadds » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Andy

I am in exactly the same scenario as you, but with a geordies Yorkshire ale kit. It's been fermenting now for 2 weeks at room temp which is around 15c. The hydrometer tells me I have sg of 1.015 which is too high. How do I reduce this? Do I move to a warmer place? Do I mix it up? Do I add more yeast or sugar? I was looking forward to transferring to my keg but not just yet!

Any help would be great!

Adam

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:32 pm

You both need to bring the temperature up to atound 20 degrees then sanitise a brewing paddle and give the wort a gentle rousing to bring the yeast back into suspension.

spliffy

Post by spliffy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Yup temperature is way to low. But 1014 or nears as dammit is normally a good SG for most beers.

Spadds

Post by Spadds » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi all

So I moved the FV to the airing cupboard and gave it s good ol stir. 24 hrs later my temp is 20c and sg is 1.008. Will give it another week (or till Monday) and recheck. It can't be far off now. Any tips for kegging? I will pop it back under the stairs as that is 15c. Is this ok or do I want cooler? I can put it in the garage but don't want creepy crawleys all over the keg....

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 pm

1.008 sounds pretty much finished to me - you need to have 48 hours with a steady hydrometer reading, then Keg. Add your priming sugar and leave it in your 15 deg hidey-hole for about a week to get pressure on the keg, then move to the garage to condition for a few weeks
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:10 pm

At 1.008 you are in bottling/kegging territory, if you get 2 or 3 similar readings in a row it's more than safe enough to go ahead.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

andypdq

Post by andypdq » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for the help Dave, I warmed the fv up with a heat belt and had to stir it twice before it got going again. It has now been in the fv for four weeks, would anyone care to estimate the chances of it turning out ok? I'll be glad when this one is over ! Thanks again.