Chocolate Stout Made Simple .....

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Chocolate Stout Made Simple .....

Post by Ditch » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:17 pm

I've been secretly working away at this one for some time now. Pretty well cracked it! :wink:

Sod all this boiling ye nibs in ye bags and crushing ye malts. Am I not the most legendarily lazy. corner cutting, " Craft(y side step) Brewer " of them all? In fact, now I come to think of it? I'm near bloody certain someone, on here, mentioned this stuff to me ..... :|

If so, and ye reading this? Please do step up and take a bow ~ and the lions share of the credit. I don't want it. I get quite enough sh!t from idiots who think I coined the name, " Ditch's Stout ". (Wankers checked the history, they'd see I simply adopted the title so many other people were already using :roll: Anyway .....)

Ye need: One pint of excellent stout. One, 1 Ml. calibrated syringe ~ or a standard ear dropper will suffice. And a bottle of Nielson ~ Massey Chocolate Extract <-- Click and check that muvva.

I get mine from the local 'Health Food' Shop. Costs me about a fiver a bottle. Where ye get ye stout and syringes is your business.

Process: Pour pint of stout. Suck up 1 Ml. / 2/3 of ear dropper of chocolate extract. Squirt into pint. Stir. Taste. Consider.

I find a Millilitre of this stuff, in a pint, tastes like a bar of chocolate has been melted into it. Maybe err to the lower side and work ye way up, through the pints, till ye figure out just what level of chocciness You prefer?

Bottom line is though; It's simple. It's cheap. It's instant. And the beauty is? If ye suddenly feel like a straight stout ~ or a Vanilla or Coffee Stout ....? Just pour one. This is a major part of why I honestly haven't even bothered to try to work out the ratio to a full, 20 litre keg of stout. I simply don't know if I'd Want to drink 'Chocolate Stout' all week

Now, obviously, precious few of ye are going to have a bottle of N ~ M's to hand. But, I'll look forward to hearing others reviews of this method, in due course Image

eddy31384

Re: Chocolate Stout Made Simple .....

Post by eddy31384 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:23 pm

just like i do with cider, back sweeten. just the same method to add extra flavour. to anything.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Eddy, just out of interest, mate ..... What do ye add to ye cider?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:04 pm

I must have blinked...............if I'm reading right Ditch, yer back mate :pink:

Good to see you fella. :D
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Blinked? F**k me, mate; I nearly poked my eye out, the other day and I still haven't missed as much as you! :mrgreen:

So saying; Time for my eye drops and anti biotic horse pills again .....

eddy31384

Post by eddy31384 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:21 am

Ditch wrote:Eddy, just out of interest, mate ..... What do ye add to ye cider?

orangeade vimto or limeade

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:52 am

Same Idea as my monin coffee syrups :) good on ya for taking the next step and proving it works, ditch =D>

Should you want to scale up, 23l = 40 pints so somewhere between 40 and 60ml of extract should work perfectly in a batch :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:46 am

Pinto, was it you? I knew that somebody had put me up to this. First I'd only been able to get Coffee Extract, in a hurry. Then I ordered Chocolate and bought a bottle of Vanilla while I waited. So, I'd got some experience of dosing measures.

Now I've just spent a week or so meddling with my stout by the glass full. It'll never even approach the shadow of Aleman's IRS. That was out of this world! Special. But, if ye feeling like a change? It's something ye can try.

Like I say though; I don't think I'd want to do a whole keg. It's more a novelty than a night in, night out thing.

Let's see if anyone else takes it up. See what they make of it.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Ditch wrote:If so, and ye reading this? Please do step up and take a bow ~ and the lions share of the credit. I don't want it.
Is this the gent you're referring to Ditch? :)

Cheers Tom

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Think there's been a number of people looking at the idea, just lots of routes to the same thing :)

Think the flavouring will dictate how much of each type you'd want to make - I adore coffee so I could easily modify a whole keg, whilst chocolate might be a bit sickly - horses for courses I guess :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Soupdragon; That's the thread! Now, interestingly, Millemg there uses Essence. Apparently, Extract (What I'm using) is that much more powerful. Might be worth noting that, for anyone who ends up with a different bottle?

Millemg likes coffee too, eh? What a bummer; I have a bottle of Coffee Extract sitting here. Likely to still be here when they drag my stinking corpse out too. Only, it'd probably cost as much in postage as it would to buy over the counter :shock:

millemg

Post by millemg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:06 am

Ahhhh Ditch, you are a believer at last :)

I am using about 1ml of choc essence per pint, so it must be similar stuff to the extract.

Since getting hooked on "MIllemg's chocolate stout" :=P :wink: :lol: I have been trying the polish raspberry cordial in some of my brews, great in a cider !!

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I always wanted to believe, mate. Just needed to be shown the One True Light 8)

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 am

I love this idea.Im curious if i did the same but added it to the bottle before capping would it still have the same effect or will it loose its effect when the bottle carbs ?

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Beerlover; I should think it'd retain it's flavour. Can't really see why it shouldn't do. Don't lose the taste of hops or malt when a beer carbonates, do we? :|