First ever glass bottle failure!

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Greatcthulhu

Re: First ever glass bottle failure!

Post by Greatcthulhu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Cheers- I'll carry on reusing the plastic lids. Like the look of those swing top bottles- do you need to replace those seals?

Mo06

Post by Mo06 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 am

"Like the look of those swing top bottles- do you need to replace those seals?"

Eventually I reckon, although they are still in A1 condition.

I have about 80 of these 650ml 'Fischer' bottles now, it was tough drinking that lot, but I took it like a man......

tazzymutt

Post by tazzymutt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:39 pm

I use plastic bottles for my ginger beers. They are Tesco’s own brand cola bottles, 500ml and I just reuse the original caps. So far (three brews) no problems whatsoever apart from a perceived tendency for the sediment not to stay at the bottom quite as well when I pour. This may be an illusion or due to the invented it as I went along nature of the brews but it could also have something to do with the shape of the base of the plastic bottles. The next batch I do will include a few glass bottles for comparison.

Most of my other beers go in 587ml (1 pint) Magners or Bulmers bottles for preference or 500ml bottles if I'm short of cider bottles. The exceptions being stronger Belgian style beers that I put in 275ml San Miguel bottles (I bet you have a friend you deny knowing who drinks the stuff; just ask around). I mention the San Miguel bottles as the only failure I had was the neck of one of these breaking when I was using a two lever capper. I bought a bench capper the next day…

Happy brewing,

Ian.

PS I have about 40 x 500ml brown glass swing top bottles (Bernards Dark Lager). If anyone would like to give them a home they are available to collect from just south of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm

Greatcthulhu wrote:Cheers- I'll carry on reusing the plastic lids. Like the look of those swing top bottles- do you need to replace those seals?
I've got some Grolsch bottles my Dad had back in the eighties and the seals are still good. I would replace them once the rubber looks like it's starting to perish. Had to do that with a few of the really old school twist top bottles that my Taid had back in the 50's, so it gives you an idea of how long these things last.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 am

Monkeybrew wrote:Image

I suppose that I've been pretty lucky as this is my first glass failure, just gutted that it was a bottle of ESVA :(
I've only ever had one glass-bottle failure (so far).
Like you did for the photo, I stuck my hand in the crate to pull all the bits out - ended up with a gash across my knuckle that the Dr had to super-glue back together (the entire bottom of the bottle broke off and I was trying to fish it out from between the other bottles in the crate) - next time it happens I'll be cleaning up the mess with leather gloves.

St. Ailbhe's Brewery

Post by St. Ailbhe's Brewery » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 am

No failures so far - touch wood - but I don't think I prime my bottles enough to dice with bottle bombs.

I bet you're glad you keep things in a plastic crate now? Smart call.