Muslin on syphon

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Barticus

Muslin on syphon

Post by Barticus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm

I read recently on here about someone wrapping some muslin around the end of their syphon when transferring from one FV to another. It sounded like a great way of avoiding crap transferring.

Is is a good idea and a common practise and if not why?

Paddy Bubbles
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Muslin on syphon

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Well, what do you mean by "crap"?

It won't filter yeasty trub or break material. It will filter out hop material, though if you're using pellet hops you're still likely to get some carryover.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:03 pm

If you have the means to filter out particles, why would you not do it? Having said that when my primary is finished and I am racking to another vessel (bottle, barrel, FV) I haven't really had anything serious enough in the beer to worry about. Any debris has either settled or floats on the small amount of waste left behind.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I do it and mentioned it recently. It's not something I do every brew, usually when dry hopping or if there's a lot of surface material. It's something that I tend to do with country wines and meads more than anything as there can be whole spices, flowers, bits of fruit I want leaving behind.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

Barticus

Muslin on syphon

Post by Barticus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Yeah, it's the surface material o want to keep out.