Have I ruined this thru stupidity?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
big brew ejit

Have I ruined this thru stupidity?

Post by big brew ejit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Evenin folks,

I have just bottled a Coopers ozzy pale ale but am thinking I may have ruined it.
It had been in the fv for nearly 3 weeks as between work and other things I couldn't do it earlier. It only finished fermenting about 3 days ago with a reading of 1009.
Yesterday I had sterilized all the bottles but when I dissolved the sugar in some of the ale as I usually do I put it back in when dissolved but I had forgotten to rack into a second fv to leave the trub behind. I only realised that when I poured the sugar mix in.
I left it for a day and re-sterilized the bottles but when I syphoned into the bottles it wasn't clear and it was a bit frothy and had to be topped up when the froth died down.
I used 4g of sugar per pint.
It didn't smell off and tasted ok so have I fukced it up?

Alton_Bee

Re: Have I ruined this thru stupidity?

Post by Alton_Bee » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 pm

All you have done is restarted the fermentation. It will probably mean you have slightly increased the strength of your beer and will have more sediment in the bottom of each bottle.

big brew ejit

Post by big brew ejit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Cheers Vic,

I can live with that just make sure I don't make that schoolboy error again.

Phil

Barloch

Post by Barloch » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

I usually bottle from the fv, i don't mind a but of sediment in the bottom, after 4-6 weeks, it doesn't pour out

big brew ejit

Post by big brew ejit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:50 pm

That's music to my ears as I was thinking worst case scenario and having my first time of losing a brew.
Cheers
Phil

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm

If you were troubled by your "error"all you needed to do was let the priming sugar ferment out for about 4 days then rack to a fresh bucket and start again.

I usually bottle before fermentation is complete, or if I let it ferment out I often do what you have done as an "error". I just stir the sugar into the primary GENTLY. I'm not saying it's the best method, but it works well as a lazy short cut, particularly if I don't have a spare 2nd bucket!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

big brew ejit

Post by big brew ejit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Should I have reprimed when I bottled the next day, it would have only been fermenting for a day so I'm hoping it should still be alright in the bottle.
Phil

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 pm

this is a [censored]?? nah easy remedy just let it sit a bit longer maybe chuck in a campden. then rack off and follow your normal routine. all youve really done is keep little yeastie beasties working. if youre worried about too much sediment , it might be worth asking better brewers than me if gelatine could be added now to help drop out
Just like trying new ideas!

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm

big brew ejit wrote:Should I have reprimed when I bottled the next day, it would have only been fermenting for a day so I'm hoping it should still be alright in the bottle.
Phil
After a day it will have used some of the sugar and produced CO2 which will have vented away. It may not be the same level of carbonation you planned, but it won't be ruined.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

big brew ejit

Post by big brew ejit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks lads for the input, I will condition it in the kitchen for the next couple of weeks. After that I'll crack open a bottle and report back.

Phil