First beer, first kit, timing advice needed

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
ChunkyMonkey

First beer, first kit, timing advice needed

Post by ChunkyMonkey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 pm

First up I'm only a beer brewing virgin, I've been making wine and cider for a few years. I'm giving beer a go for the first time, and starting with a kit to get a batch under my belt as it were. I've gone for a St Peter's IPA.

My question is one of timing. As I write this I have 3 full weeks before I go on holiday for a week. Simply put, should I start the kit now or wait until I get back i.e. 4 weeks time.

I know the kit instructions expect the fermentation to be over in 4-6 days (yeah right!) - but I suspect in reality it'll take a bit longer than that (couple of weeks?), then I'm expecting it should sit for a further week to clear before I even think of bottling it - which makes timing a bit tight for the 3 weeks until I go on hols. My concern then is if I leave it until after I get back, is it likely to spoil or get off-flavours from sitting on the lees too long or anything like that? Or am I simply worrying too much as it's my first time??

I've never had a problem with wine or cider spoiling, so I'm pretty confident in my cleaning and sanitising, but then also wine (and especially my cider!) have a much higher alcohol content which help to keep the nasties at bay.

Any advice and guidance gratefully received - and treat me gently, it's my first time

Thanks

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: First beer, first kit, timing advice needed

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Do it now. It will probably be fermented out in 4 to 8 days. If you really want to let it stand to clear a little then leave it for 10 to 20 days then bottle/barrel. That way it will be ready when you get home.

If I was doing it, I would be drinking it before your holidays. I have started drinking as little as 9 days from the start.

Good luck and enjoy it. They are said to be a good kit.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

ChunkyMonkey

Post by ChunkyMonkey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Righty-o then, I'll be giving it go this afternoon. Thanks for the advice, I'll send you a pint when it's finished ;)

Bailz

Post by Bailz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:32 pm

keep us informed please as i about to start my first kit Coopers english beer.

cheers bailz

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:23 am

yeah get it on mate. If it stays in fv for a week or two after its fermented out will just be clearer when you bottle/ keg and probably will have smoothed out a bit taste wise .I have actually forgot a brew for 4 weeks after i made it and it was fine after i bottled it!!
Just like trying new ideas!

ChunkyMonkey

Post by ChunkyMonkey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 am

Why have I never tried to brew beer before? 4 days in and the ferment has slowed dramatically so I thought I'd start taking some readings. I pulled a sample off and curiosity got the better of me, so when I'd taken the reading I thought I'd give it a try (drinking beer at 8am was an odd experience). I can't quite believe how good this tastes already! I've had A LOT WORSE at beer festivals in the past, and knowing this is only going toimprove makes it taste all the better. I'll keep you posted as it progresses, but I have high hopes! (kit was a St Peter's IPA)

ChunkyMonkey

Post by ChunkyMonkey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm

10 days in and I'm pretty sure it's stopped fermenting (one last check tomorrow) - clearing nicely and the taste has changed again, still nice and hoppy (how I like my beer) but somehow the hops are less harsh/raw. I am very pleased with the way this has turned out so far - exceeded expectations, but then my expectations were based on the last beer kit I tasted that a friend made 20 odd years ago - seems like things have moved on considerably since then. I think I might be hooked on homebrew beer as well as wine and cider now!

Just need some tips on how to keep SWMBO sweet as I already had demijohns all over the place with my wine making, now just adding to the clutter with beer stuff :) (at least the cider is pretty seasonal)

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm

ChunkyMonkey wrote:Just need some tips on how to keep SWMBO sweet as I already had demijohns all over the place with my wine making, now just adding to the clutter with beer stuff :) (at least the cider is pretty seasonal)
Does she drink, if so you could brew her a nice Coopers APA.

If she doesn't, then your fuc#ed!

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

ChunkyMonkey

Post by ChunkyMonkey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 am

Quick update for anyone interested. Bottled this exactly 2 weeks after starting the ferment - was stable at 1.011 for at least 4 days. 6 days later (the night before going on hols) I put a sneaky one in the fridge to try - nicely carbonated, still a bit cloudy, but tasted pretty damn good.

Now back from hols and this brew is definitely still improving, mellowing and losing what little harshness there was. Overall, very impressed and will be doing this kit again for sure. Maybe my only slightly negative comment would be the hops have mellowed just a smidge too much for my expectations of an IPA, so I might consider trying to up the hops a little next time round (I might be totally ruining it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained).

I don't want to go over the top with the hops, so any suggestions for varieties, amounts? Dry hop? Hop Tea? I just want a little bit more "zing" without any further bittering.