Coopers APA - hop additions?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

Coopers APA - hop additions?

Post by razzrockbolt » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I have been experimenting with adding some aroma hops to a Coopers APA and I'm looking for some comment/advice on what I have tried so far.

Brew 1
Kit + 1.5kg LLME + 0.5kg dextrose
Hops - Hallertauer Hersbrucker pellets 33g
Kettle of boiling water used to rinse out cans - 10g boiled for 15mins rest steeped for 30 mins. All added into the fermentation vessel. Made up to 23l OG1052. Pitched supplied yeast.
Currently in secondary after 1 week in primary.

Brew 2
Hops - Chinook pellets 40g
Kettle of boiling water used to rinse out cans - 10g boiled for 15mins rest steeped for 30 mins. All added into the fermentation vessel. Made up to 23l OG1052. Pitched supplied yeast.
Currently in primary.

I'm planning on bottling rather than kegging.

Is it worth dry hopping brew 1 or just go with what I have? Are the quantities of hops okay - more/less? I still have time to dry hop if needed. Any pointers welcome.

I have one more Coopers APA and the following hops pellets: First Gold, Challenger and Saaz. Any ideas?

I have also tried an APA with 1.5kg amber LME, 0.5kg soft dark brown sugar and 250g crystal and 100g roast barley steeped in boiling water for 60mins. Made up to 23l OG1055. Pitched supplied yeast. Deep red colour, good head when poured. FG1014 after priming sugar added #-o . Quite pleased with the results - malty goodness. Just need to stop drinking it to give it time to mature. :=P

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Coopers APA - hop additions?

Post by WalesAles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 am

razzrockbolt wrote: Just need to stop drinking it to give it time to mature. :=P
STOP DRINKING IT THEN ! :D :D :D

Sorry I can`t help on the hop additions but Monkey will be here soon!

WA

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:38 pm

razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

Post by razzrockbolt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:56 pm

razzrockbolt wrote:I have been experimenting with adding some aroma hops to a Coopers APA and I'm looking for some comment/advice on what I have tried so far.

Brew 1
Bottled at an FG1015. Nice hoppy character which I guess comes from the hops. Nothing distinctly recognizable as coming from the hops, not like the floral notes of EKG for example, just quite nice pale ale.

Brew 2
Currently in primary.
Bottled at an FG1015. Nice hoppy character with a distinct grapefruity aroma and mouth puckering taste. A completely different character to that of Brew 1.

Brew 3
Hops - First Gold pellets 40g
Made up exactly the same as Brew 1 and 2 except that the supplied yeast had gone AWOL so I pitched a starter made from the yeast slurry left over from the secondary of Brew 1. Went off like a rocket.
Currently in secondary. I'm not really sure what flavours to expect with these hops. With the chinook hops it was clear what they were going to do a soon as I opened the packet. Hopefully another distinctly different beer from the previous two.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 am

I haven't brewed with First Gold, but it's supposed to be nice and fruity :-)

It's nice to read your comparisons between your different brews. I've got 2 APA kits sitting here awaiting their fate!

Probably going to brew 1 to 1.050 ish with some Amarillo (short boil) and then a massive Centennial dry hop and perhaps some Crystal malt to balance the hops.

Gonna potentially brew the 2nd tin with an English hop and English yeast for a lower ABV EPA.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

Post by razzrockbolt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 pm

razzrockbolt wrote:I have been experimenting with adding some aroma hops to a Coopers APA and I'm looking for some comment/advice on what I have tried so far.

Brew 1
Bottled at an FG1015. Nice hoppy character which I guess comes from the hops. Nothing distinctly recognizable as coming from the hops, not like the floral notes of EKG for example, just quite nice pale ale.
I have been drinking this for a few weeks now. Nothing leaping out at me but I think it might be that I'm just not recognizing the Hallertauer hop flavour. Not like I would kick it out of bed or anything, I just suppose I need a hop that slaps me around the face. :)

Brew 2
Currently in primary.
Bottled at an FG1015. Nice hoppy character with a distinct grapefruity aroma and mouth puckering taste. A completely different character to that of Brew 1.
The mouth puckering grapefruit has toned down slightly but is still very distinct. Really pleased with the end result. I had some mates around and this was a favorite. Brew 3 wasn't in the bottle yet so couldn't compare. I kind of have an idea of what it can supply flavourwise so I think I might think about mixing it with another hop to see if I can get some complexity. I definitely wouldn't want to overhop as I suspect it could be overpowering. I think this hop is good for light coloured beers, Pale ales IPA's and such, I'm not sure that it would suit a darker beer. I am ready to stand corrected if anyone knows better.

Brew 3
Hops - First Gold pellets 40g
Made up exactly the same as Brew 1 and 2 except that the supplied yeast had gone AWOL so I pitched a starter made from the yeast slurry left over from the secondary of Brew 1. Went off like a rocket.
Currently in secondary. I'm not really sure what flavours to expect with these hops. With the chinook hops it was clear what they were going to do a soon as I opened the packet. Hopefully another distinctly different beer from the previous two.
I bottled this a couple of weeks ago, again with FG1015. Tried it after about a week and was surprised at the marmalade flavours. I had tried a slurp as I was bottling and couldn't make much of anything out. A week in the bottle, still a bit green but - pow - seville orange marmalade, amazing. I expect the hop character will tone down a bit like the chinook did in Brew 2.

That was the last of my APA cans that I picked up out of date for £3.75 a pop from my local Tesco but I am quite pleased with the little experiment. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can get some more.

Does anyone have any idea what Challenger hops would bring to the mix?