Kit brewing is not as rewarding as I expected.

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
bluezephyr

Kit brewing is not as rewarding as I expected.

Post by bluezephyr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:16 pm

3 months on the first kit I brewed still isn't great, I suppose it passes as an alright pint but I can't say I totally enjoy it.

Having the time to sit and enjoy a pint is something I really look forward to, with lots of depths of flavour and aftertones, can't beat it!
I'm not getting any of this with kits, I've tried Wherry, Nelsons revenge, John Bull IPA and now in the process of bottling a wilko stout. I've seperated batches after the primary fermentation, dry hopped in different demijohns to varying quantities.

A recent financial hoohar with the bank has halted any ideas of starting an all grain setup( beware what you sign for!), we are in the process of selling our place and I would have had the space for a nice everything I needed brew room. Since the hobby money I've worked my arse off has now been reassigned differently my kit brewing days are somewhat numbered.
Kit brewing was an opener into greater things, I could put up with average beer knowing it was only a learning curve into better things to come.
Is there any way I can make kits to taste nice and be an enjoyable pint and not a 1 dimensional alcoholic drink? I've got about 100 bottles and a keg sitting there I was hopeing would age into something I could be proud of. More time needed to age? Better kits?
Any help or enthusiasm greatly appreciated

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Kit brewing is not as rewarding as I expected.

Post by lee1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:32 pm

hi blue try coopers apa with hop teas , dry hopping , it makes a very good beer and very quick :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:38 pm

lee1 wrote:hi blue try coopers apa with hop teas , dry hopping , it makes a very good beer and very quick :)
This man speaketh the truth.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42443

Loafman
Piss Artist

Post by Loafman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Things I've found that improve kit beers (in order of importance according to me) are:-
Making sure everything is clean and sanitised with no residual chlorine or chlorides (sanitise with cleaner then rinse with water and campden tablet to remove chlorides)
Using bottled spring water
Short brewing to 20 litres instead of 23 litres
Making sure the temparature is correct and stable
Using an 11g yeast sachet instead of the kit yeast (Gervin English ale yeast for example)
Using malt extract (either dried or liquid) instead of sugar
Brewing and conditioning in the dark (obviously need the light on for some bits!).

There are many little tweaks, but my kits are coming out as good as commercial beers nowadays, my mates are stunned to find out it's home brew!
In the past:
21.5L Coopers Stout + Treacle OG 1054 (Start 6/11/2015)
21L Coopers English Bitter + Hops OG 1047 (Start 6/11/2015)
20L Coopers APA OG 1050 FG 1014 (Start 26/10/2014, PB'd 30/11/2014 Dry hopped 100g Cascade on 18/11/2014)
20L Coopers Stout OG 1048 FG 1016 (Start 30/11/2014, PB'd 17/12/2014)
20L Coopers Stout OG 1048 (PB'd 17/12/2013)
20L Coopers Lager OG 1047 (Start 03/12/2013, PB'd 04/08/2014!)

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:00 pm

I think you'll need to look at AG if you aren't happy with kits. You can tweak them but only so far.
BIAB is an ideal entry into AG which requires minimal equipment and the process is fairly straight-forward.

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 pm

bluezephyr wrote: now in the process of bottling a wilko stout.
I'd imagine you might do better than that, if ye like a stout ..... :whistle:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Have a go of the Muntons Premium Gold Smugglers Special. This is a top quality 2 can kit. Best one I've done so far and will definitely do it again. I consider it the gold standard of kits.

Irish.Brew

Post by Irish.Brew » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm

AnthonyUK wrote:I think you'll need to look at AG if you aren't happy with kits. You can tweak them but only so far.
BIAB is an ideal entry into AG which requires minimal equipment and the process is fairly straight-forward.
What size of pot would you advise for BIAB...how many litres?

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 pm

super cheap way to start AG. Is BIAB and do no chill in a hdpe jerry can. Will take some practice.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:12 am

lee1 wrote:hi blue try coopers apa with hop teas , dry hopping , it makes a very good beer and very quick :)
This.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Lars

Post by Lars » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:22 am

40l is best size for 20ish litre BIAB brew length but it can be done in a smaller vessel if needed. Check out maxi BIAB

bluezephyr

Post by bluezephyr » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:12 am

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply.

BIAB is a term I've read so many times and I'd like to be in on a brew day to see exactly what goes on and how to do it, seeing and doing is learning for me, is this method going to produce results like what I can buy in the shops?
If I can learn this method from someone local and equipment isn't so expensive I shall give it a go. Any individual links to equipment needed?
Is there a chance this beer and ale is going to mellow into a worthwhile pint?

Thanks everybody.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 am

I like many others went with a 40l 'tea urn' from Buffalo - http://www.nisbets.co.uk/buffalo-manual ... il.raction
Nisbets often have them on sale at £89.99 so with vat £105.

I changed the tap and added a hop filter for another £20 and then all you need is a bag and possible a cooler.
The bag I use is a Richies 24" mashing bag I bought from http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/
The immersion cooler I made from 10m of 8mm copper which was £15 but as mentioned you could also go no-chill.

I hope someone local can help with a demo as this was what I did and found it very useful.

There are better kits but I think you already mentioned the Wherry which is regarded as one of the best kits.
I find with kits they do take a while to reach their best maybe 4-6 weeks or more sometimes whereby with BIAB and AG in general it is ready almost immediately :)
Last edited by AnthonyUK on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 am

If you're not happy with the results from the get go, then it's unlikely you'll ever be satisfied with kit brewing. I wasn't, despite trying every possible tweak. My dad on the other hand was very happy with the kit stuff I made. In fact, I still brew some kits just for him.

I went straight to all grain because I was encouraged to by others and because i loved the idea of brewing as a hobby. It is a world apart from kits and gives you the flexibility to brew what you like. It's also an absorbing hobby to the point of being almost obsessive.

There are many ways to get there, BIAB is one I haven't tried. But converted plastic containers work well and are economical and long lasting. I still use my original equipment in my holiday house and brew some of the best beer you'll never taste.

And don't forget, there's plenty of help and advice on tap here to help you get where you want to be...
Tea is for mugs...

crimsongarlic
Steady Drinker

Post by crimsongarlic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:03 am

bluezephyr wrote:Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply.

BIAB is a term I've read so many times and I'd like to be in on a brew day to see exactly what goes on and how to do it, seeing and doing is learning for me, is this method going to produce results like what I can buy in the shops?
Yes, and better in a lot of cases.