Beer Making 'Superstitions' ....?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Beer Making 'Superstitions' ....?

Post by Ditch » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:54 pm

You got any? I s'pose superstitions is the right word? Wouldn't know quite how else to present it.

See, someone mentioned, on another thread, that they use that " Viodene " (or how ever it's spelt) for sanitising. I read that and went to get a couple on. Followed my dead usual procedure. And suddenly found myself questioning my mind!

Bear with me, please. I don't want to set off a sneering competition here. I just want to illustrate something clearly.

I sanitise my FV's, BK's (When I use them), fish tank heaters (FTH's? :roll:) and syphon in thin bleach solution. Simply always have. All my life. Got it off of CJ Berry and it's never let me down, so I've always stuck with it.

One of the others (VWP or Starsan?) I've never tried, because ye have to know the Ph of the water, or something. I don't. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that I Do have sound, explainable, grounded reasons for doing what I do.

Until it comes to the freezer top that I work from. The tin opener ~ a stab in and lever type ~ and those really rather disgusting old rubber gauntlets that I wear when handling the hot rinsed tins!

Because for all those, for absolutely no explicable reason, all my shit goes out the window and I perfectly happily spray the lot down with Viodene! :shock: I wouldn't dream of letting it near a well washed out FV. Of course it wouldn't f**king work, and I'd lose my beer! I know that as well as I know I have two hands!

And yet, I trust it on my tin opener and, worst of all; The f**king steel mixer I shove deep into my water and wort!!! I just take that f**ker off the side. Give it a cursory spray and shove it in the FV! :shock:

You see? Absolutely not an iota of sense or reasoning! One minute, sloshing about with bleach and hosing gallons of water at it. The next? 'Pish, pish, pish .....' Job's a good'n!

I must be out of my f**king mind! Or, maybe it's just some weird sort of 'superstition' I've developed, look?

How about you? Anything strange ....?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Beer Making 'Superstitions' ....?

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Ditch wrote:You got any?

How about you? Anything strange ....?
No, not me............ I think that you must be the only one :wall

Cheers :mrgreen:
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

cellone

Post by cellone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:14 pm

I've gone from rinsing clean then using starsan to rinsing, soaking in oxi-clean, rinsing then starsaning my bottles.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Skunking of beer.

Store beer in brown bottles, keep them out of the light etc..etc

I have only once known of a beer being skunked and that was when my dad used to make home brew many many years ago.

How did it happen? Lightening!!

The light has to be extremely intense to cause a beer to skunk.

.... and I swear by Viodene ;)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:59 pm

I rinse everything 5 times after sterelising. That's got to be a bit OCD. :?
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

cellone

Post by cellone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Jim wrote:I rinse everything 5 times after sterelising. That's got to be a bit OCD. :?
Hehe I do find my self counting the actions that don't require it.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Geezah wrote:I have only once known of a beer being skunked and that was when my dad used to make home brew many many years ago.

His beer got struck by lightning?? That has to count as one of the most unlucky things that can happen!

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:36 pm

I just always add Sod. Met to anything I have cleaned with bleach, follow a mixture of CJJ Berry and Wheeler when it comes to it, not had an infection for years, (touching the nearest piece of wood to me).

Do have a superstition when it comes to brew day though, if something doesn't f*ck up at least once then I get worried.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 am

Camden tabs for 30 minutes no idea why but I sit there smelling the water if I do it any less. I also moved away from bleach to vwp got two infections one after other so soaked everything in bleach then Christmas gods gave me starsan still I find my head in the bucket sniffing thinking this can't be it slosh slosh chuck away

widdersbel
Piss Artist

Post by widdersbel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:40 pm

sbond10 wrote:I also moved away from bleach to vwp
VWP *is* bleach.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm skeptical about any superstitions and I like to look into the facts behind them. I'm no analytical chemist, but when it comes to santitation products, it's as simple as reading the label. If you had a problem using VWP rather than "bleach", you need to look at what else you did differently on those two occasions.

Me? I always make sure I wear my lucky red pants on brew day. The only brew I've had go wrong so far was the one where I was wearing blue pants when I made it.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Am I the only one that is going to admit circling my mash tun 3 times after doughing in, whilst chanting 'make good beer, make good beer, make good beer that's what we need here'??
Mmmmm, though so :roll: :)

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:59 pm

sbond10 wrote:Camden tabs for 30 minutes no idea why but I sit there smelling the water if I do it any less.
God, you're wasting your life away there! Image It's funny though but, I should be the last one to laugh. When I first came here I was so f**king hung up myself ....!

I'd ask " Daab " something. " Just bung in a handful ", he'd say. No F**king Way would that do for me! How big of a handful? Some in my palm? Or as much as I could hold? Might my hands be bigger or smaller than his? Did he always use exactly the same grip?

I'd do my own f**king head in with it! I needed Grams! Image

And, I think, That is why I've become the maverick of beer making I am today. I've consciously broken down these obsessive compulsions and have moved right in the opposite direction.

I now make, store and serve my beer like I don't give a shit. And, frankly? I don't. Because considerable experience has now shown me that everything will be alright.

And yet, still; Put a f**king gun to my head and No Way am I trusting my FV's to that spray bottle! Absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. What is it, in our psyche or genetic make up that we Need these idiosyncrasies ....? :|

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

My beer's never been the same since I wore out my lucky red brewing slippers. :lol:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Geezah wrote:Skunking of beer.

Store beer in brown bottles, keep them out of the light etc..etc

I have only once known of a beer being skunked and that was when my dad used to make home brew many many years ago.

The light has to be extremely intense to cause a beer to skunk.

.... and I swear by Viodene ;)

Skunking is not a myth.

Take a can of Stella.

Take a green bottle of Stella.

Taste the difference....that's skunking.

Same can be done with any side by side with cans or bottles. Also, the actual amount of light needed can't be a lot as I've had it in Stella straight out of the cardboard case, so presumably that's only seeing the electric lighting in the bottling plant.....

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lee1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:03 pm

nice 1 ditch ive got to have a beer while brewing [dont we all :?: ] its just 1 of those things :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)