Hydrometer in FV

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Eddieedwards284

Hydrometer in FV

Post by Eddieedwards284 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Does any one see a problem with leaving a sterilised hydrometer in the FV for a few days,rather than having to keep sanitising equipment to fill trial jar. The only disadvantage i can see is you don't get to drink the contents of the trial jar.

cheers

Eddie

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Re: Hydrometer in FV

Post by TC2642 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:05 pm

I would be worried about the chance of infection getting in. If you want a way to safely test your wort without losing too much of it investing in a refractometer would be the way to go.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

barry44

Post by barry44 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I am quite interested in the refractometer route, can anyone recommend a suitable unit?

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 pm

once the beer has alcohol I have never been able to use the refractometer successfully even with fancy algorithms, for refactometer is only used before yeast pitching and fermenter, they are handy but a hydrometer is just as handy and pre-fermenter the wort gets chucked back in as the later boil sorts out any santising issues

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:10 pm

roscoe wrote:once the beer has alcohol I have never been able to use the refractometer successfully even with fancy algorithms, for refactometer is only used before yeast pitching and fermenter, they are handy but a hydrometer is just as handy and pre-fermenter the wort gets chucked back in as the later boil sorts out any santising issues
Try this:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=refractbeer ... ff&spell=1

I did do a side by side comparison using a hydrometer and from what I remember they were both in the ballpark. Never had any problems once it had got started either, I would suggest getting a pipette and taking wort from the top to get a clear reading.
Fermenting -!
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA

Exiled Bradfordian

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Apologies for being thick, but if the hydrometer is sanitised, why would there be a any higher risk of infection by dropping it in and leaving it than by dipping a sanitised trial jar in every day? I've chucked a sanitised hydrometer into each of my brews so far after about a week as an easy way to check if I have 3 days' consistent readings. Admittedly I haven't done many, but I did it on the recommendation of someone here and it's worked fine so far touch wood!

Zephiacus

Post by Zephiacus » Wed May 28, 2014 7:54 pm

I've done it before, but its a devil to see the reading with all the foam, and there is always going to be some co2 in solution or being generated, so your reading wont be complety accurate but will be a rough guide,

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed May 28, 2014 8:00 pm

There is no reason to worry about infection if the hydrometer is sanitised.

It's hard to read due to parallax error and with get coated in Kraeusen marginally affecting the reading.

I've done it loads of times.

asd

Post by asd » Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 pm

IMHO, you shouldn't worry too much about things, so shouldn't leave the hydrometer in the FV. If you learn to look at your brew, you will see when it is finishing its fermentation. The Krausen falls, and then there is a ring of foam, which slowly condenses towards the centre. When this looks stable, then draw out a sample to check that you have indeed approached your end point/finished your fermentation. Don't rely too much on instruments, other than for confirmation of what you already feel. And then abandon them! Try to feel the force :D .

cellone

Post by cellone » Wed May 28, 2014 8:24 pm

As I said on another thread only yesterday, I pop a hydro in when I think it's there. Never had a problem.

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 pm

asd wrote:IMHO, you shouldn't worry too much about things, so shouldn't leave the hydrometer in the FV. If you learn to look at your brew, you will see when it is finishing its fermentation. The Krausen falls, and then there is a ring of foam, which slowly condenses towards the centre. When this looks stable, then draw out a sample to check that you have indeed approached your end point/finished your fermentation. Don't rely too much on instruments, other than for confirmation of what you already feel. And then abandon them! Try to feel the force :D .
I agree with that almost entirely. But... I've had two brews not finish with Fullers yeast. The first one I'd got cocky and didn't bother checking. Lucky I had no bottle bombs. When you opened them they didn't stop foaming until the bottle was empty.

The second is my current brew. I checked the gravity and it's at 1.030. I was about to crash cool but thought I'd better check.

I think it's time I sort an oxygen supply out as I think that could be the issue.

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Fair enough, I wouldn't want to chance it.

I usually go by when the airlock stops bubbling :lol:
Fermenting -!
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA

Eddieedwards284

Post by Eddieedwards284 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks for replies folks,i thought my wheat beer was about done after a week,i just dropped hydrometer in FV and its reading 1022 so a bit to go yet i reckon,in going to leave the hydrometer in the FV over the next few days to see how it gets on.

cheers

Eddie

mrcpea

Post by mrcpea » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 pm

I always leave mine in, never spoiled a brew yet by doing so.

MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly » Thu May 29, 2014 1:33 am

Just throw your hydrometer out of the window.

Look at the ale, when the bubbles have stopped and the krausen died down, keg/bottle away.