festival kit question

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
hopfan

festival kit question

Post by hopfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Iv'e been brewing for awhile iv'e had a festival kit stored in a conservatory behind a chair for just over a year i did all the usual sterilising etc and it's in the fv it's been in there for nearly 3 weeks now the yeast that came with it was just sat on the top not doing anything after 2 weeks so i skimmed it off and put some allinson's bread yeast in and it's foamed a tiny bit, i was wondering would storing the kit in conservatory have ruined it as it gets bloody hot up to 50c degrees.

any advice would be gratefully received :)

hopfan

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: festival kit question

Post by lee1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:41 pm

good luck with that mate think you will need it #-o
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

mk1paggy

Post by mk1paggy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:34 am

It should have had a good head on it within 48 hrs. Was it past its use by date. Yes probably a good chance it was cooked in it's packet. I always store my kits under my stairs. Recently done the father hook one Def recommend.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 am

Storing the yeast at 50C would have killed it.

I always remove the yeast sachets from my kits and store them in the fridge until I'm ready to brew.

Ive got to be honest, everything about this brew sounds bit doomed :(

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

tazzymutt

Post by tazzymutt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 am

Monkeybrew wrote: Ive got to be honest, everything about this brew sounds bit doomed :(
Sadly, I have to agree with this. You may get lucky but I'd have a priest standing by to read the brew its' last rites...

Happy brewing (with fresh, brewing yeast),

Ian.

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:09 pm

In my short time on this forum this is the first "will it be ok?" thread where the answer hasn't been "don't worry about it, it'll be fine" :mrgreen:

Hopping_Mad

Post by Hopping_Mad » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Bread yeast, as a 'rescuer' - really? :shock: You might have had a chance had you to nipped off to Wilkos/LHBS etc. pronto and bought a sachet of proper ale yeast, but I think it's gone beyond that now! [-o<

I store brewing 'stuff' in three places. 1) In the cupboard under the stairs (FV/Secondary fermentation beer), 2) In the fridge (yeast/yeast nutrient/drinking beer) or, 3) The garage (beer kits, conditioning beer/other kit). All are a reasonable temperature for their purpose.

Absolutely nothing goes in the conservatory!!! Germs breeding ground and the right temperature to kill of the live things I want to keep alive (i.e. yeast)!!!

Dum, dum, da-dum, dum, dum, dum dum dum da-dum!

Or, as the Pythons are popular again... "It is an ex-brew, it has ceased to be!" #-o