Coopers Mexican Cerveza yeast change

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
RichieSaps

Coopers Mexican Cerveza yeast change

Post by RichieSaps » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Guys,

I will shortly be adapting a Coopers Mexican Cerveza by short brewing to 20 litres, using 1kg of Munton's Light Spray Malt and using a Lager Yeast (Saflager S23) and fermenting at a temp of 13-14c in a ferm fridge.

My question is regarding the yeast. It says on the packet that 11.5g pitched at room temperature. Does that mean pitch it at room temp and the chuck it in the fridge to cool down to 13c or do I have to leave it at room temp for a while before chucking it in the fridge.

Cheers

Richie

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Re: Coopers Mexican Cerveza yeast change

Post by D4nny74 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Am totally new to brewing but am pitching at the pitching temp 2c ish then am putting it in my fridge to bring the temp down over a day or two using the st1000 to 13-14c

Cheers

Danny

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:20 pm

D4nny74 wrote:Am totally new to brewing but am pitching at the pitching temp 2c ish then am putting it in my fridge to bring the temp down over a day or two using the st1000 to 13-14c

Cheers

Danny
Hi Danny

I assume that 2C is a typo and you mean 20C.

This is one way of doing it, and I have found that it works fairly well. You can also pitch yeast at colder temperatures, but you have to use a lot more of it.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:05 pm

whoops , yep 20c :?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:01 pm

RichieSaps wrote:Guys,
I will shortly be adapting a Coopers Mexican Cerveza by short brewing to 20 litres, using 1kg of Munton's Light Spray Malt and using a Lager Yeast (Saflager S23) and fermenting at a temp of 13-14c in a ferm fridge.
My question is regarding the yeast. It says on the packet that 11.5g pitched at room temperature. Does that mean pitch it at room temp and the chuck it in the fridge to cool down to 13c or do I have to leave it at room temp for a while before chucking it in the fridge.
Cheers
Richie
I've heard some less than complimentary things about S-23 and have never used it, but I have had great results with S-34/70.
If you pitch the yeast at room temperature it will act like an ale yeast and throw off a lot of fruity esters which you probably don't want if you are brewing a lager. It's way better to pitch close to the 13 you want to ferment at.
When I brew a lager I get the wort down as low as I can, usually around 14c. I pitch the yeast, you need more at lower temperatures, and put the F V in the cooler at 10, by the next morning the wort is down to 10 and the yeast is just starting to work.
I'm just here for the beer.