Storing ale in casks

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cazabrew

Storing ale in casks

Post by cazabrew » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi

I'm new to brewing, but have been drink ales for a long time. Can I ask, if instead of bottling a kit or extract ale that I want to put some into a cask to keep for later? How long does the beer last after the first pint has been poured from the cask? I have had easy 5l kegs which once opened you only get 2 or maybe 3 days at a push and are a realistic amount to drink at once for me, but if i wanted to put into a bigger cask does the beer have the same lifespan or will it last longer once opened and started?

I would also like to find out if anyone has a recipe for a Jarl or Hurricane Jack type clone or even Greenmantle, Something nice, golden and full of flavour, but not too complicated to brew for a beginner.

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Storing ale in casks

Post by Ditch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Could ye please better define " Cask " ? Do ye mean wooden barrels or plastic ones?

cazabrew

Post by cazabrew » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Sorry I mean the plastic ones which hold up to 25 litres

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh. Good. No problem with them then.

I use the bog standard sort ~ BK's / Basic Kegs ~ and don't bother with gas. I just loosen the cap as I pour a pint. Head doesn't last. But, then, I don't wash my f**king eyes with it anyway.

Suits me. Been bang at it for years, with BK's. No problemmo. Back in the day? I tried all sorts of Top Tap, gassed to hell, latest marvellous inventions. F**king things ..... :evil:

cazabrew

Post by cazabrew » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Do they last a while then, I wont be filling to top but would like the ale to last a reasonable time enought to drink and enjoy it. If I have a couple of pints and then secure the cap each time will be ale last for the week? Work gets in the way of drinking sometimes

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:12 pm

cazabrew wrote: If I have a couple of pints and then secure the cap each time will be ale last for the week? Work gets in the way of drinking sometimes
:shock: God, yes!!! I tend to do a BK in a week or so. But, I've given them to mates, who drink a damn site less than me. Full, of course. And they've slowly enjoyed their way through the entire four gallons.

One bloke took the entire xmass period and quite well into the new year. Never thought I'd see my BK again! Image

cazabrew

Post by cazabrew » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Sounds good. Unfortunately Xmas and New Year when I work the most, so January will be my blurry month. Will try and see what happens. I have been given one from wilko with sealed cap on top will that do or do i need a proper brand one?

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Proper Branded One ....? We don't call them " Basic Kegs " for nothing, mate! :mrgreen:

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:25 am

You can get 9L BK's, which is what I tend to use these days. I bottle 11-14L of a brew and then fill the baby BK with the remaining 9L.

Suits me.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:40 am

Just to give another side but I use old boots style and king keg barrels. I use gas to keep the top pressurised after I have taken a few pints out, will keep it fresh and ensures a head, if you like that sort of thing.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

mickhew

Post by mickhew » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Ditch drinks his brews as fast as he can brew them, a bit like me ! Generally it'll last for months in a barrell, the alcohol conntent self preserves it, and the CO2 layer above protects it too.