Hope the first brew is OK!

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Hope the first brew is OK!

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 pm

2nd post having joined on Monday.

The Woodfordes Wherry was brewed on Monday and, from experience decades ago, rather expected the thing to burst into life within 24 hours - not the case! There is some pressure there as the airlock balances are uneven, but doesn't seem to be any change for the first 2 days. I've probably buggered it up now by deciding it was too cold where it was and moving it into an airing cupboard upstairs - rather purposefully letting it slop around quite a bit in the hope it might set some activity off. 5 gallons is bloody heavy when carting it upstairs isn't it! Anyway, now in a warmer location but no change on airlock activity 36 hours on - always seems to be at a point where it's ready to blow through but doesn't.

I've decided though that as there is clearly pressure being created inside the 'bucket' - the airlock levels always being out of kilter and higher on the 'out-put' side, that this new bucket lid doesn't have a good enough seal. I did put a spread of pet' jelly around the rim but didn't go overboard thinking it shouldn't be necessary having never done that in the old days. I'm hoping there's a small leak that's allowing pressure above a certain level to escape but whilst also putting enough 'latent' pressure on the airlock to push it out of kilter

Am going to check it daily for the next few days - gently depressing the lid to force enough gas through the airlock until both side are level. The day I find them level without doing this can be the day I check the hydrometer readings - already had it slightly open a couple of times worried about lack of activity and don't want to further risk infection.

Still it's a good excuse to down a few pints of speckled hen to calm the nerves - difficult not to at £1.25 a pint at Lidl although bottled of course.

Hopefully, in a few weeks time, it'll be a few pints of my own brew!

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hope the first brew is OK!

Post by Manngold » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi Meatymc,

I have done the Wherry Kit before. I wouldn't worry about lack activity. But I would recommend bottling / kegging after two weeks minimum. I normally leave all my brews in the FV for three weeks (it works for my schedule). If you want to take a gravity reading, and then just leave it in there. This allows you to check on the fly without having to sanitise.

Hope this helps!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hope the first brew is OK!

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Cheers Manngold

So ignore the stated 6-8 days on the kit?

Makes sense thinking about is as the best kit brew I ever did was one i forgot about was under the stairs. Sat there for a couple of weeks and then another 10 days whilst on holiday. When we came back the settlement on top was practically solid but the beer was excellent. Here's hoping!