First Brew Problem?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: First Brew Problem?

Post by wanus » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:49 pm

It sounds ok to me after the time that's passed.
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

newtohomebrewuk

Post by newtohomebrewuk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 pm

So the gravity looks settled at about 1.010, i dont have time to bottle it until the weekend. My problem is I only have 24 .5l PET bottles. Are bottled sparkling water bottles ok to use? Can they be flavoured water or will that smell/flavour go into the beer?

Exiled Bradfordian

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi.

Sparking water bottles will be fine. As I understand it, air can eventually permeate plastic so it won't last forever, but as long as they've had something carbonated in them before you'll be fine. Wash em well and sterilise and you shouldn't get any of the previous flavour.

newtohomebrewuk

Post by newtohomebrewuk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:53 pm

In terms of the bottling process, the homebrew shop recommend plastic tubing with a plastic tap on the end. Whats the best way to avoid oxygenating the beer when im filling the bottles? Is this something to be worried about?

Exiled Bradfordian

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 pm

The tap helps avoid spillage. My siphon just has a kind of 'clip' that you can shut off between bottles to avoid losing your brew, but any old bit of food grade flexible tubing should do.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:34 am

newtohomebrewuk wrote:In terms of the bottling process, the homebrew shop recommend plastic tubing with a plastic tap on the end. Whats the best way to avoid oxygenating the beer when im filling the bottles? Is this something to be worried about?
nthbuk,
Keep the plastic tubing at the bottom of the bottle, open the tap, fill to approx 10mm from bottle top.

WA

newtohomebrewuk

Post by newtohomebrewuk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the help so far.

I was given one of these today http://www.brewuk.co.uk/equipment/bottl ... stick.html, apparently it will help with bottling. However im stumped as to how I keep the pressure and the beer flowing through the tubing. If i stop the flow after each beer surely ill have to suck the end to start the flow again? The only other piece of equipment I have is a tap that goes on the end of the plastic tubing.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:03 pm

newtohomebrewuk wrote:Thanks for all the help so far.

I was given one of these today http://www.brewuk.co.uk/equipment/bottl ... stick.html, apparently it will help with bottling. However im stumped as to how I keep the pressure and the beer flowing through the tubing. If i stop the flow after each beer surely ill have to suck the end to start the flow again? The only other piece of equipment I have is a tap that goes on the end of the plastic tubing.
nthbuk
When you lift the stick off the bottle bottom, the flow stops. When the stick touches the next bottle bottom, the flow starts again.

WA

newtohomebrewuk

Post by newtohomebrewuk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for this. One more problem, I dont have a secondary fermenter to put the beer in, should I use carbonation drops? Or just add the sugar to the primary?

newtohomebrewuk

Post by newtohomebrewuk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for all the great help in this thead. The beer tasted fine, slightly bitter but still very nice. Its all bottled now and Ill have to resist the urge to crack one up before the two week time frame!