Geordie lager

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
GerryT

Geordie lager

Post by GerryT » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 am

Hi guys

Just about to do my second lager kit , a Geordie's. My first was an edme and i added 1kg of normal sugar :oops: .

Since then i have done a few others Scottish 80's x2 , very nice, and i have a Irish stout in the a keg as wee speak, with theses i have used beer kit enhancer.

So,, can i use the beer kit enhancer with lager ? or should i be using brewing
sugar instead ,, or something else

On a side note , why cant i pass Wilkinson's without just having a look what they have in the home brew section , i know they don't have a lot but i still have to look , or the "just got to pop down the local HB shop to have a look love" and always seam to come back another kit or other bits and bob's. is there a cure for this :wink:

StevieR

Post by StevieR » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Gerry, I'm afraid there is no known cure for homebrewitis.... but on the plus side - there is no known cure for homebrewitis :D :shock:

With reagrds the lager kit, I would recommend 750g light spray malt and 250g brewers sugar.

let us know how it goes !!

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm

StevieR wrote: With reagrds the lager kit, I would recommend 750g light spray malt and 250g brewers sugar.
On the Edme pilsner kit I did at the beginning of the year I used 750grms DME and 250grms light brown cane sugar. And it was very good, it did though take over 2 months to condition in the bottle, but it did not have the kit taste :wink:

chopperswookie

Post by chopperswookie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:46 pm

if they are going cheap, ie £4.99, buy two tins and do them both together. i did that last week and it got off to a right start. currently 1016 after starting at 1032.

i do the same with wilkos hoping for the day my local one will stock some wherry kits!!

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:35 pm

chopperswookie wrote:i do the same with wilkos hoping for the day my local one will stock some wherry kits!!
Wilko's in Weston super Mare is where I got my wherry kit - £14.99 and they had some in stock today, so there is some hope for you.

There was a piece on R4 "Today" on how the Church or England was talking to John Lewis's marketing department about attracting more people to Church on Sundays .... stocking cheap beer kits would get me out of bed in time.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

GerryT

Post by GerryT » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks lads :)

Mine has the wherry kits in stock i take it they are good ?

Going to nip in tomorrow and get another lager (4.99) and double up and also get a wherry kit

Next on the list will be a shiny Cornelius keg, seen a few on ebay not sure to get the normal tap or the continental one, does it make any difference.

frutbunn

Post by frutbunn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:08 pm

GerryT wrote:Mine has the wherry kits in stock i take it they are good ?
They're excellent! But personally I like to give them a week to clear in a secondary bucket under airlock to reduce the amount of sediment in the bottle.

They're well worth the 14.99.

Some people here have had problems with stuck fermentations though. So it may fight you to get it down to 1014 or below! :(

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:57 am

GerryT wrote:Thanks lads :)

Mine has the wherry kits in stock i take it they are good ?

Going to nip in tomorrow and get another lager (4.99) and double up and also get a wherry kit
If you are going to double up two of the lager kits you might find that it is excessively bitter/hoppy since these are are designed to have enough bitterness/hoppyness in just one can.
If you go with the light spray malt (750g) and brewing sugar (250g), you should end up with an excellent well balanced beer.

GerryT

Post by GerryT » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:13 pm

frutbunn wrote:
Some people here have had problems with stuck fermentations though. So it may fight you to get it down to 1014 or below! :(
I got a big stick to bash it with and show it who's the boss :D
delboy wrote:If you go with the light spray malt (750g) and brewing sugar (250g), you should end up with an excellent well balanced beer.
Luckily they had ran out of geordie lager so i did go for 750g light spray malt and 250g brewing sugar and just the one can and is bubbling away like a good un .

Thanks for the input and help guys i really appreciate it .

GerryT

Post by GerryT » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:45 pm

oops forgot to ask (silly question time again :oops: )

i am just going to do the wherry kit and as its a 2 can kit am i right in thinking i dont add anything to it ?

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:54 pm

GerryT wrote:oops forgot to ask (silly question time again :oops: )

i am just going to do the wherry kit and as its a 2 can kit am i right in thinking i dont add anything to it ?
Yeah the two can kits are designed to not need the addition of other fermentables. I suppose you could add a very small amount of yeast nutrients if you have them and maybe use a 12 g sachet rather than the 6 g sachet that comes with the kits but even if you don't do these things it should (fingers crossed) produce an excellent beer.

A few other members on here have tried dry hopping with a small amount of hop 10-20g in the fermentor to give the kits a little extra something but again you don't need to do this.
Hope all goes well with your brews :D

frutbunn

Post by frutbunn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Another thing GerryT. With the Wherry kits, if you use the provided yeast, then make sure you aerate for a GOOD 15 minutes!

And rehydrate the yeast in 100ml of boiled water at around 30-35 degrees rather then the 45 degrees the instructions advise

Also make sure the temperature of the wort isn't too low when you pitch. I usually pitch at around 24 or 26 degrees, and I think that gives the yeast a good start! (Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but it's my practice!)

I've made a few of the Munton's kits now, including three Wherries, and never had one stick yet (fingers crossed)!

GerryT

Post by GerryT » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:30 pm

frutbunn wrote:Another thing GerryT. With the Wherry kits, if you use the provided yeast, then make sure you aerate for a GOOD 15 minutes!

And rehydrate the yeast in 100ml of boiled water at around 30-35 degrees rather then the 45 degrees the instructions advise

Also make sure the temperature of the wort isn't too low when you pitch. I usually pitch at around 24 or 26 degrees, and I think that gives the yeast a good start! (Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but it's my practice!)

I've made a few of the Munton's kits now, including three Wherries, and never had one stick yet (fingers crossed)!
Cheers m8 ,, followed , and its of to a flyer :D

chopperswookie

Post by chopperswookie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:49 pm

talking about obsession, was in tescos with mrs chopper, friday night big shop, and found myself looking at all the back to school stationary (stay with me on this one) and ended up putting a 89p notebook, the sort with elastic to keep it from falling open, into the trolley thinking "this will make a good brew diary". i have a PC, t'internet, word, a myspace facebook website coming out my arm and i buy a notebook. the first page does depict the starting gravity of my geordie lager 2xcans etc, date of ferming and a space for final gravity and abv.

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am

chopperswookie wrote:talking about obsession, was in tescos with mrs chopper, friday night big shop, and found myself looking at all the back to school stationary (stay with me on this one) and ended up putting a 89p notebook, the sort with elastic to keep it from falling open, into the trolley thinking "this will make a good brew diary". i have a PC, t'internet, word, a myspace facebook website coming out my arm and i buy a notebook. the first page does depict the starting gravity of my geordie lager 2xcans etc, date of ferming and a space for final gravity and abv.
A notebook does not crash, and if you spill your beer on it, it only cost 89p to replace, they are the future :wink:
And having the brew details to hand is a real boon 8)