Bottling advice for first brew

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Bottling advice for first brew

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:13 am

I'm gearing up to bottle my first brew - a Wherry. Intend bottling it all as I have the bottles but not yet a pressure barrel.

Firstly priming sugar. I have some brewing sugar (dextrose) bought whilst getting together an initial 'stock' of stuff. Is this better for priming than normal household sugar?

Secondly, advice seems to be making up a priming solution to put in the secondary is preferable to tipping a half teaspoon (or full teaspoon) of sugar into each 500ml bottle - both being done before adding the brew of course. If so, what proportion of sugar to water and, given I brewed a bit short plus there will have to be some liquid left in the fermenter to avoid disturbing the sediment and therefore can't be exact on how much liquid I'll be able to bottle, how accurate does the sugar to brew equation need to be?

And finally, once bottled seems to need putting somewhere warm for a few days (a week?) - I asssume to help any remaining yeast work on the priming sugar. However, there are so many warnings about exploding bottles, doesn't this increase the risk?

As usual, any advice very welcome.

SquireKnott

Re: Bottling advice for first brew

Post by SquireKnott » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 am

I'm still quite new but, here goes...

I use brewing sugar - about 80g for ales I'm told but I tend to put 90-100g just to be safe.

I've always put it straight in and stirred once syphoned into to the secondary FV but have read to mix it in warm boiled water which I did with m last brew (yet to be sampled).

Two weeks in a closed box in my warmest room for me the I move to the shed and start drinking from that point. Most are drinkable straight off but do get better with time, some have needed leaving a few weeks more before braving again but then been nice.

I've never had an exploding bottle, which I'm quite disappointed about :mrgreen:

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks 'Squire'

Also just wanted to say enjoyed reading through the thread on your first experience and on-going acheivements - impressive!

I'm being held back as we're selling the house and may well end up in rented for a while as there's nowt out there that fits the bill.

Hopping_Mad

Post by Hopping_Mad » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 pm

I genuinely find it quicker to prime 40 bottles with my little measure that I bought and is narrow enough to tip in bottle necks, than sterilise a second FV, boil water, add sugar then syphon and batch prime without splashing!!!

Maybe one day someone will explain why this is quicker?

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:33 pm

I did wonder to be honest. I've an accurate measure and several mini funnels - surely more accurate than a guess at how much liquid you'll actually bottle and therefore the amount into the secondary FV?

Francois

Post by Francois » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm

When I'm bottling I generally add 60g dex (brewing sugar) for priming.

Boil kettle while you're dragging fv into position/assembling equipment

Measure dex into jug/large mug and dissolve with about 500ml boiling water

Prep equipment properly and sanitise bottling bucket etc, then get your syphon going from fv to bb (by this time your priming solution's cool enough to go).

Once bb's a third full add the priming solution (as always, no splashing, and no need to stir as if you're filling the bb from the bottom there'll be a swirl going that will distribute it)

Bottle, clean up, store everything away, crack open a bottle of a previous batch to celebrate :grin:

Other personal regimes will vary,I imagine

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:17 am

Francois,
At the bottom of your Post, I see that you are planning some mental stuff. What will that be exactly? :D

WA

Hopping_Mad

Post by Hopping_Mad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:57 pm

WalesAles wrote:Francois,
At the bottom of your Post, I see that you are planning some mental stuff. What will that be exactly? :D

WA
... Birds of a feather! :wink: