Carbonation question

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
conn15

Carbonation question

Post by conn15 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 pm

I have bottled my muntons gold contintenal pilsner two weeks ago with 1 & 1/2 coopers carbonation drops. The bottles are firm but I tried one last night out of curiosity and it was vert flat. I know it has a wee bit of time to go but I am worried that I've messed it up.

I had placed all of the drops in the bottles prior to bottling - is this the wrong thing to do?

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Carbonation question

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:50 pm

I've never used these quirky carbonation drops myself, so have you any idea of the weight of 1.5 drops?

I would normally prime between 7-8g per litre for a lager. Also have you kept your bottles around 20C for the 2 weeks since bottling?

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

conn15

Post by conn15 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:06 pm

[quote="Monkeybrew"]I've never used these quirky carbonation drops myself, so have you any idea of the weight of 1.5 drops?

I would normally prime between 7-8g per litre for a lager. Also have you kept your bottles around 20C for the 2 weeks since bottling?

Cheers

MB[/quote]

The bottles have been kept are around 20c for the 2 weeks. Some people use two drops per bottle for lagers but in my last brew I felt that made them too fizzy.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:20 pm

conn15 wrote:
Monkeybrew wrote:I've never used these quirky carbonation drops myself, so have you any idea of the weight of 1.5 drops?

Cheers

MB
The bottles have been kept are around 20c for the 2 weeks. Some people use two drops per bottle for lagers but in my last brew I felt that made them too fizzy.
Sounds like you've done everything right so far. It will now be worth storing your bottles somewhere cool for a few weeks to condition and to allow the CO2 to get absorbed into the brew.

I find that it can take quite a while for what I class as perfect carbonation.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Hello I use these drops also and I always put them in b4 the brew so I would say that would not cause a problem.
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.