Coopers Mexican Cerveza - OG and Whiffy Yeast?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
hambrook
Piss Artist

Coopers Mexican Cerveza - OG and Whiffy Yeast?

Post by hambrook » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:41 am

2nd brew and a few questions. First brew was Coopers English Bitter and thats bottled, clear and just waitng for the carbonation to finish later this week; impressed with the near transparent FV I managed to pick up a 2nd complete Coopers DIY Beer kit off Gumtree; it came with a can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza.

I re-used my original FV; which I had Oxicelaned and sanitised everything with Star San before starting. I brewed it with the recommended side of the can instructed Brew Enhancer 2 (even though the kit had brew enhancer 1 in the box) and added 200g of Wilko Brewing sugar with the goal of lifting the final ABV to nearer 5%.

Upon making the brew up to 23L took a OG reading at it came in at 1040 which felt light as I was expecting nearer 1050. I mixed up another 300g of Wilko Brewing sugar dissolved with 300ml of boring water; it fully disclosed and a vigorous stir into the brew. The second OG reading was 1043 so it had gone up slightly but not as much as I was expecting. I know its too late now, but was this the correct way to raise the OG
IMG_2228.jpg
Next up pitching the yeast, I checked the side of the tub temp strip and took a digital reading and it was 24 degrees; Coopers like it a tad warm to pitch the yeast so I snipped open the sachet; this looked and smelled different to the first batch yeast; it looked like a 2 different types and had a much more musty, stronger smell. Now as a new brewer I can't tell a good yeast to an off one but is this smell normal?
IMG_2228.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2230.jpg
- Former owner of The Emsworth Brewhouse -
Now back to home brewing of a Braumeister 50L

jimpy0

Re: Coopers Mexican Cerveza - OG and Whiffy Yeast?

Post by jimpy0 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 am

"ale" and "lager" yeasts are both different beasts and will smell and act differently

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 pm

Try and get the temp down to 15 Celsius, 24 is much too high for a nice clean lager. It looks like the Coopers yeast is a blend of two varieties, one of which is likely to be a real lager yeast, so you might be able to ferment down to 10-12, which is ideal for home-brewed lager. 1043 OG is fine. Stronger beers take much longer to mature. A light beer will taste great much more quickly.

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Charles1968 wrote:Try and get the temp down to 15 Celsius, 24 is much too high for a nice clean lager. It looks like the Coopers yeast is a blend of two varieties, one of which is likely to be a real lager yeast, so you might be able to ferment down to 10-12, which is ideal for home-brewed lager. 1043 OG is fine. Stronger beers take much longer to mature. A light beer will taste great much more quickly.
It's interesting that Coopers say keep it between 21-27 degrees for 3 days, take krousen collar off then bottle after 6 days vs general comment on the forums about keep temperature beneath 18 degrees. Tad confusing

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:44 pm

hambrook wrote:
Charles1968 wrote:Try and get the temp down to 15 Celsius, 24 is much too high for a nice clean lager. It looks like the Coopers yeast is a blend of two varieties, one of which is likely to be a real lager yeast, so you might be able to ferment down to 10-12, which is ideal for home-brewed lager. 1043 OG is fine. Stronger beers take much longer to mature. A light beer will taste great much more quickly.
It's interesting that Coopers say keep it between 21-27 degrees for 3 days, take krousen collar off then bottle after 6 days vs general comment on the forums about keep temperature beneath 18 degrees. Tad confusing
Hi Hambrook and welcome to JBK.

Don't be confused by the instructions from the kit. You become to learn that most kit instructions are very optimistic on timescales and various other details, which is very unhelpful to new brewers!

This particular kit does come with a mix yeast as someone has already pointed out. It is a 50/50 mix of Coopers ale yeast and a commercial Lager yeast. I have always found it a little strange, because the lager yeast is happier at 12C and the ale yeast at 20C.

18C is probably the optimum temperature for this mixture, but unless you have some kind of temperature control, I understand this is easier said than done.

Brewing yeast likes consistent temperatures, so try and have your FV somewhere stable.

Coopers kits are Australian, so will ferment at warmer temperatures, but fermenting any brew at 27C is going to result in a brew with bad flavours given off by the yeast!

Thankfully you've stumbled across this forum, so keep asking questions and you will be on to a winner.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply @Monkeybrew. I don't have a Fermentation Fridge but do have a decent room with no windows and a stable temperature, I also have a beer belt that has been good at maintaining the temperature on the first brew.
Attachments
IMG_2155.jpg

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:10 pm

+1 monkeybrew.

Coopers recommended temperatures will give you a very quick fermentation in the stated time period. I guess that probably helps sell the kits, along with the fact that the temperature range matches indoor temps for their target market (Australia, US, Europe). Most home brewers learn to keep the temp under 21 as it gives a cleaner flavour. Lager brewers usually ferment very cold, but this means the fermentation can take 2-3 weeks. If you're not in a hurry, I would keep the temp down. As Monkeybrew says there are two yeast varieties - the ale yeast will dominate at 18+ but if you can go colder the lager yeast will take over and give a better beer. Some lager brewers start warm and then chill over a few days, which is a good compromise if you want to avoid making a big yeast starter.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:19 pm

hambrook wrote:Thanks for the reply @Monkeybrew. I don't have a Fermentation Fridge but do have a decent room with no windows and a stable temperature, I also have a beer belt that has been good at maintaining the temperature on the first brew.
An official Man Cave! =D>
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

ianh82

Post by ianh82 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 am

hambrook wrote:Thanks for the reply @Monkeybrew. I don't have a Fermentation Fridge but do have a decent room with no windows and a stable temperature, I also have a beer belt that has been good at maintaining the temperature on the first brew.
now thats what i call a brew room :D

my cerveza was lovely, my mates all want me to brew it again!