Murky beer

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Greatcthulhu

Murky beer

Post by Greatcthulhu » Wed May 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi all. I've just brewed an extract beer. Cascade single hop using SA04 yeast. I fermented for two weeks then added to the barrel. Four weeks later and it looks like carrot and coriander soup, it's so murky. I've even added findings, which have made absolutely no difference. You can actually see bits floating around (proteins?) when you pour it into the glass. The taste is actually OK, but the appearance makes wheat beer look like a clear Pilsner. Any ideas? Thanks.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Murky beer

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed May 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Can you chill it? Down to about. 2c or so? S04 is great for making bright beer but you have to let it do it's thing.

Also as a yeast it tastes horrible. You really don't want it floating around

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed May 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Greatcthulhu wrote:Hi all. I've just brewed an extract beer.
Great,
I think you have posted on the wrong site! #-o #-o
This site is for poor people who can`t afford Shiny ! :D
Post it on `Extract Brewing`, the Mods ( Off Their Rockers) will probably do it for you.
Hope it turns out good for you. :D

WA

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Ha, ha, slapped wrists. Sorry, I know I should have posted in extract but this section is always much busier and full of very knowledgeable Brewers, so I thought I might get a quicker answer. Extract isn't really expensive, I use a 25ltr stock pot as I don't have a boiler and then stick the pot into a bath of ice water to cool it down.

Can't really cool it as I can't get the barrel in the fridge. I've stuck it out in the garage in the hope that we might be some cold nights though.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Great,
You are correct, this is the busier site and all the `Posh` people are watching us all the time looking for hints and tips! :D :D
I`m sure you will get your answer soon.

WA

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed May 13, 2015 8:45 pm

If the taste is OK, you will soon get someone telling you to drink it from a tankard (so you can`t see it), and close your eyes so you can`t see into the tankard! :D
I would never say that! :D

WA

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed May 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Greatcthulhu wrote:Hi all. I've just brewed an extract beer. Cascade single hop using SA04 yeast. I fermented for two weeks then added to the barrel. Four weeks later and it looks like carrot and coriander soup, it's so murky. I've even added findings, which have made absolutely no difference. You can actually see bits floating around (proteins?) when you pour it into the glass. The taste is actually OK, but the appearance makes wheat beer look like a clear Pilsner. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you add any Irish Moss or Protofloc in the last 10 - 15 mins of the boil?

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Wed May 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Ha, ha. Yes I'll definitely be drinking it regardless and I do have a tankard, luckily. It's really just that I've never had such a cloudy brew before, especially after adding finings.

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Wed May 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Monkeybrew wrote:
Greatcthulhu wrote:Hi all. I've just brewed an extract beer. Cascade single hop using SA04 yeast. I fermented for two weeks then added to the barrel. Four weeks later and it looks like carrot and coriander soup, it's so murky. I've even added findings, which have made absolutely no difference. You can actually see bits floating around (proteins?) when you pour it into the glass. The taste is actually OK, but the appearance makes wheat beer look like a clear Pilsner. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you add any Irish Moss or Protofloc in the last 10 - 15 mins of the boil?

Cheers

MB
Hi, yes added Protofloc in the last 10 mins. Cheers.