Home brew set ups?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
beatts

Home brew set ups?

Post by beatts » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:51 am

Hi,

Just wondering how people go about their homebrewing in terms of what is on the go at any one time?

Do people generally have one kit in the fermenter, one ready to drink and perhaps one being conditioned?

I only have the one pressure barrel for now but I have a few fermenting bins. I think I will purchase another barrel so that I can be conditioning one, whilst drinking another, with one in the fermenter.

cheers

EDIT: I have just noticed that this info is highlighted at the bottom of peoples threads! Dur is me!

bigtoe

Re: Home brew set ups?

Post by bigtoe » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:20 am

I like to get as many brews on as i can now the temperature has come down and the kitchen is at perfect brewing/fermenting temperature.
I keg and bottle here, right now i have 2 fermenters on the go and will be adding a 3rd, 1 keg free and 200 empty bottles ;)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:02 pm

I bought 3 x 25l jerry cans off ebay (food grade) and condition in those before moving to a keg to force carb and serve. Means I got a nice stock built up

beatts

Post by beatts » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi,

How long can you keep the beer in the jerry cans? Are these ok to contain the pressure build up?

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:52 pm

As long as there is no oxygen in them they will be good for months. I add some sugar for a small secondary fermentation so that I can unscrew the cap a little and release the pressure. They only need a bit of pressure, we're not talking pressure barrel pressure. You can tell by just feeling how firm they are.

dbg400
Steady Drinker

Post by dbg400 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:17 pm

I started off with a all in one kit with FV, budget barrel & beer kit. That was frustrating when I wanted to get another one going and had nowhere to put it. I bought a second full kit (cheapest way to get another barrel, FV & beer kit), and then another barrel. That was better, with one in the FV, one conditioning and one being emptied :) I could also do two brews at a time, though I now prefer to stagger them if I'm brewing more than once a month.

Barrels are fine, but didn't keep well over summer and weren't exactly convenient for swapping brews! I now bottle everything**, which gives plenty of choice. I'm brewing every three weeks or so at present and have AG #7 in the FV, AG #6 in the warm for secondary fermentation, and AGs # 3 to 5 being enjoyed in rotation.

** Eventually I'll probably get a few cornies, and bottle the extra over the 19L. I'll still be able to swap brews but can enjoy draft beer too.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:48 pm

beatts,
I love it when people ask that question! :D
This pic shows my gear after 4 months starting brewing. Show this pic to your Mrs and you will soon have a Beer Shed built in the garden! :D

http://s733.photobucket.com/user/paulhe ... rt=3&o=159

Good Luck on the Brewing!

WA

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:21 pm

When I first brewed at uni many years ago... (like 20+).. we were four in a flat.

We had 2 FV and one barrel. So one being drunk from the barrel, one finished waiting to go in, and one just started fermenting. That was on a 2-3 week cycle...

Nowadays.. I have a few FV. Due to time constraints I seem to "batch brew". i.e. brew 2 or 3 at a time, bottle the lot... then drink them over a few months. then batch brew again. I guess I should really get into a habit of brewing once a month to keep it steadier.

beatts

Post by beatts » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm

WalesAles, that made me laugh, there is no way I would get away with that.

I will invest in another keg I think I have a rotokeg at the minute and really like it compared to the flimsier ones from wilkinsons etc.

I don't want to go down the bottling route, to be honest as the beer won't last that long once its ready to drink, especially once hooked up to the beer pump.

This is my drinking den that I constructed in my garden last year. Half a dozen mates round and a barrel is gone in a couple of hours easily.
IMG_5398.JPG
My Pub shed :)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Phwoar!
Well Jel! :D

WA

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:57 pm

If only I had the space :( One day i'll have my pub tho :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

beatts

Post by beatts » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 pm

It was a labour of love. It took me a few months to get it just right and I based it on one of my favourite locals but since its been finished we have used it loads for get togethers, family doo's but also chill time.

My liver is suffering though :oops:

some more pics. I have added a lot more pics to the walls since these were taken and sorted out finishing touches i.e. lighting, heating etc.
IMG_5407.JPG
IMG_5400.JPG
IMG_5404.JPG
IMG_5416.JPG

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:18 pm

just missing the fruity and dartboard :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

beatts

Post by beatts » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Yeah, would have loved one of those table top spaceys but deffo not enough space for a bandit. A dartboard I could just about get away with but I didn't want holes all over my wall / bar when the missus decided she'd like a game. lol!

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:06 am

Heres my bar.
And heres my keezer
2001-12-31 23.00.00-61 - Copy.jpg
Heres my dispence system
Regards
Patch
Attachments
2014-09-04 20.17.54.jpg