New glass bottles

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Newbrew1

New glass bottles

Post by Newbrew1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 pm

If you read my last 2posts I am bottling this weekend just bought 100 glass bottles and an auto syphon. Was just wondering should I clean all these with vwp or would star san be enough to make the bottles safe, the same will apply to the caps #-o

Exiled Bradfordian

Re: New glass bottles

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:47 pm

I would wash them then sanitise them to remove any film/grime which sanitising alone won't do. Funnily enough for caps I only ever sanitise (not wash). I can't explain why.

BenB

Post by BenB » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:01 pm

I recently bought a whole load of bottles to standardise my "collection" and just filled a sink full of water and left them in it for a while (obviously making sure each was full of water) before emptying and sanitizing. I've bottled 80 of them so far and opened 2(!) and no odd flavours that the rather green Progress hop wouldn't explain. I can't see why there would be anything from the manufacturing process that would be an issue. I suspect even the initial washing in the sink was unnecessary.

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Without a doubt, wash them.
One brand I bought were clean. Another more expensive brand I bought looked clean, but left dirty marks on my hands when wet.
Using Tapatalk

Newbrew1

Post by Newbrew1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:25 pm

What I meant was should I wash them in vwp chloride solution or will a wash in hot water and then star san be enough

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Newbrew1 wrote:What I meant was should I wash them in vwp chloride solution or will a wash in hot water and then star san be enough
I'd use the vwp.
Using Tapatalk

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lee1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:08 pm

i bought glass bottles never sterelised ive only ever washed them in hot tap water i must have used them five or six times with no problems , when i use a bottle i rinse with hot water then fill them up put away [ flip top bottles ]
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

Newbrew1

Post by Newbrew1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Was up your end Wednesday delivering should have stopped off for a beer :lol: :lol: